History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Well and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Sledmere, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0709 / 54°4'15"N

Longitude: -0.573 / 0°34'22"W

OS Eastings: 493477

OS Northings: 464823

OS Grid: SE934648

Mapcode National: GBR SPFC.RG

Mapcode Global: WHGCX.5YD2

Entry Name: The Well and Railings

Listing Date: 20 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083769

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167872

Location: Sledmere, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Sledmere

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sledmere St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Sledmere

Listing Text

SLEDMERE MAIN STREET
SE 9264-9364 (north side)

17/62 The Well and railings

20.9.66

GV II


Monument and railings. 1840. Built for Sir Tatton Sykes, 4th Baronet, in
memory of his father Sir Christopher Sykes, 2nd Baronet. Sandstone ashlar
with lead roof, and iron railings. Monument in the form of a circular
temple. Square plinth, octagonal base, 8 Greek Doric
columns supporting frieze and cornice with domed roof surmounted by ball
finial and weather-vane with fox. Central area with glazed cover.
Inscription to frieze reads: 'THIS EDIFICE WAS ERECTED BY SIR TATTON SYKES
BART. TO THE MEMORY OF HIS FATHER SIR CHRISTOPHER SYKES BART, / WHO BY
ASSIDUITY AND PERSEVERANCE IN BUILDING AND PLANTING AND INCLOSING ON THE
YORKSHIRE WOLDS, IN THE SHORT / SPACE OF THIRTY YEARS, SET SUCH AN EXAMPLE
TO OTHER OWNERS OF LAND, AS HAS CAUSED WHAT ONCE WAS A BLEAK AND BARREN /
TRACT OF COUNTRY TO BECOME NOW ONE OF THE MOST PRODUCTIVE AND BEST
CULTIVATED DISTRICTS IN THE COUNTY OF YORK. AD. 1840'. Railings to sides
and rear: lances with ornamental standards between each 17 rails. Upper row
of bars. Approximately 16 metres to either side and around the rear.


Listing NGR: SE9347764823

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.