This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0128 / 54°0'45"N
Longitude: -0.2366 / 0°14'11"W
OS Eastings: 515652
OS Northings: 458855
OS Grid: TA156588
Mapcode National: GBR VQS1.L9
Mapcode Global: WHHFL.BDLL
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083851
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167759
Location: Barmston, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Barmston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barmston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
BARMSTON SANDS LANE
TA 15 NE
(south side, off)
8/3 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 and C15 with later additions and alterations. Rubble with
ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. 2-stage south-west tower, 3-bay nave
with 2-bay south aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel. Tower: quoins, 2-
light pointed Perpendicular window to west under cavetto-moulded hood with
label stops. Moulded first stage band. Perpendicular 2-light bell-
openings, band, pierced battlements. Entrance to south porch has 2 orders
of cavetto moulding under cavetto-moulded hood. Remains of cross at apex.
Within, a studded board door within Caenarvon arch. South aisle has blocked
round-arched opening under cavetto-moulded hood with label stops. 3-light
pointed window with Perpendicular tracery to head within double-chamfered
surround. Similar window to east end of aisle. Nave. West end has 3-
light, pointed Perpendicular window within double-chamfered surround under
cavetto-moulded hood with label stops. North side has entrance with ogee-
arched, cavetto-moulded surround under cavetto-moulded hood with label
stops, now blocked. 3-light pointed Perpendicular window in double-hollow-
chamfered surround. Cornice. Low moulded parapet. Chancel. South side
has C19 pointed priest's entrance with 4-panel door, quoined jambs and
cavetto-moulded hood with label stops, small inserted single-light window to
left. Otherwise 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular window in double-
hollow-chamfered surround, with hollow-chamfered hood with label stops. To
east end a 3-light pointed Perpendicular window with recut mullions and
partly recut double-hollow-chamfered surround beneath hollow-chamfered
hoodmould with label stops. Cross at apex. Interior. Pointed double-
hollow-chamfered tower arch. 2-bay south arcade has double-hollow-chamfered
round arches on square piers with hollow-chamfered diagonals and moulded
capitals. Similar chancel arch. Norman tub font with lozenge decoration.
C19 sedilia and piscina. Monuments: probably late C17 wall monument in
early C18 surround to Dorothea Boynton, d 1680, and Henry Boynton, d 1719.
Alabaster knight on tomb-chest against which stand six angels each holding a
shield, probably to William Moneaux of Barmston d 1446. To porch a hogback
and remains of pre-Viking age cross. Fragments of medieval glass in south
aisle, otherwise late C19 and C20. To exterior of south side of chancel are
2 probably early C18 wall tablets, one to member of Dumbleton family,
d 1711. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding , 1978, pp 166-7.
Listing NGR: TA1564958853
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings