This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8412 / 53°50'28"N
Longitude: -0.4301 / 0°25'48"W
OS Eastings: 503394
OS Northings: 439472
OS Grid: TA033394
Mapcode National: GBR TSF0.PS
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.CQF3
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167421
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
In the entry for BEVERLEY REGISTER SQUARE
9/304 (west side)
"Photograph" shall be added at the end of the description.
BEVERLEY REGISTER SQUARE
TA 0339 (west side)
C15, altered internally in 1762-4 by William Middleton, with a porticoed
front of 1832 by Charles Mountain Jnr. Front in sandstone ashlar with
tetrastyle Greek mutular Doric portico to full height, surmounted by triangular
pediment,. Columns fluted from about 5 feet above the ground, Centre doorway
has architrave, frieze, consoles and cornice. 2 windows with architraves
and cornices. 1st floor band, above which is a large projecting tablet.
The interior is very important, with the Court Room having a coved plaster
ceiling elaborately decorated by Guiseppe Cortese with a bas-relief of
Justice in the centre. Cortese also provided the handsome Royal and Town
arms and other original fittings include Chippendale chairs. Stucco work
to the walls. Doric columns and matching balusters of the small stair
were formerly part of Hawksmoor's Minister galleries, removed in 1826.
The richly carved frame to the Mayor's seat is based on the 3rd edition
of Chippendale's 'Director' by Edmund Foster of Hull. Apsidal Jury Room,
with panelled walls and a fine chimney piece. Judgement seat of 1604.
The Mayor's parlour is a top-lighted room of circa 1836. N M R
Listing NGR: TA0339439472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings