This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8378 / 53°50'16"N
Longitude: -0.4287 / 0°25'43"W
OS Eastings: 503496
OS Northings: 439096
OS Grid: TA034390
Mapcode National: GBR TSF1.ZZ
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.DS3Q
Entry Name: The Old Grammar School
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167223
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley Minster St John and St Martin
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 0339 BEVERLEY KELDGATE
8/123 Nos 54, 54A and 54B
1.3.50 (The Old Grammar School)
Built circa 1696 for the Constable family. Keldgate elevation early and late
C18. 2 storeys, stucco. 7 windows, all reglazed, 1 blind window. Centre wood
doorcase of circa 1770 with architrave, chambranles, moulded and enriched con-
soles, frieze, centre tablet, dentil pediment, 6-panel door and fanlight.
Moulded brick bracketed eaves cornice and iron spouting. No 54A has a separate
pantile roof and a War Memorial tablet. Garden front to east in red brick.
5 windows wide, centre ones narrow closet type now bricked up, 3 blind, gauged
heads. Plain tile roof, hipped. Staircase of 1696 vintage. Closed moulded
string and pulvinated frieze. Massive plain newel with drop finials. Moulded
handrail. Balusters vase-shaped below, spiral above. Raised moulded panelling
to dado height. Back stairs have closed string, plain newels with ball finials,
plain handrail, and large vase-shaped balusters. Two rooms (one on each floor),
with raised moulded panelling throughout; and chimneypieces of 1770 vintage,
with fluted pilasters and fluted friezes. Two first floor rooms have chimney-
pieces with landscape paintings on overmantel panels. One other wainscotted
ground floor room. Rear first floor room has moulded box cornice and joinery
chimneypiece with moulded frieze, mantelshelf and overmantel flanked by panelled
pilasters. Rear ground floor room has Beverley-type peat-burning fireplace. The
windows with panelled windows seats.
Listing NGR: TA0349639096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings