This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.84 / 53°50'24"N
Longitude: -0.4231 / 0°25'22"W
OS Eastings: 503860
OS Northings: 439348
OS Grid: TA038393
Mapcode National: GBR TSH1.66
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.GRS1
Entry Name: The Old Friary
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Last Amended: 30 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167164
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley Minster St John and St Martin
Church of England Diocese: York
BEVERLEY FRIARS LANE
TA 0339 (north west side)
The Old Friary
(Nos 5, 7 and 11)
1.3.50 (formerly listed as
Nos 7, 9 and 11)
C16 remodelling of a mediaeval structure founded by the Dominicans in 1210.
2 storeys in brick and stone, undergoing extensive restoration at time of survey.
Main front to the south has projecting wings at right angles at ends. Tumbled
brickwork to the gable ends of the wings, one is ornamented with diaper pattern
in sunk bricks. Pantile roof. Some long and short quoins in brick. Several
blocked openings. Interior contains features of interest including a panelled
room of late C16 or early C17 date. Photographs of pre-restoration state in NMR.
Listing NGR: TA0386039348
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings