History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8398 / 53°50'23"N

Longitude: -0.4243 / 0°25'27"W

OS Eastings: 503778

OS Northings: 439318

OS Grid: TA037393

Mapcode National: GBR TSG1.Y9

Mapcode Global: WHGF4.GR57

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 1 March 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167138

Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Beverley

Built-Up Area: Beverley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Beverley Minster St John and St Martin

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Beverley

Listing Text

BEVERLEY EASTGATE
TA 0339 (west side)
10/39
No 52 (The Old Vicarage)
1.3.50
GV II
Parts of structure mediaeval, 1703 and early C19. Front to Eastgate early C19,
2 storeys in white brick. 3 blank windows to 1st floor, and 2 to ground floor,
all with stone arched heads, keystones carved with feather motif. Doorway has
wood jambs, reeded, with paterae, 6-panelled door, fanlight. Door in screen
wall to yard surmounted by a canted blocking course, with anthemion enrichments,
over a light cornice all in stone. Slate roof. Front to south, facing Minster
Yard; a symmetrical composition with a tall early C19 block at the Eastgate end,
in white brick with one large triple window upstairs and down, simple cornice
and slate roof and details as above. From this pavilion westward a long low
wing refaced in white brick in early C19 with 4 windows at 1st floor, and 1
triple window and a mid C19 Gothic bay in stone to ground floor, also a single
window and a glazed door. Wood eaves spouting, 3 gabled dormers to gabled pan-
tile roof. Further west in red brick is a 1-storey lower wing with 2 large
windows, wood eaves gutter and pantile roof. Staircase has closed string, large
turned balusters (landing has spiral twisted balusters), plain newels with
finials and drop finials, and simply moulded handrail. One ground floor room
has fielded panelling to dado height: chimney piece with moulded architrave,
pulvinated frieze, and moulded mantel shelf: fielded panel and box cornice over.
4 linenfold panels said to have been brought from Old Suffolk Place in Hull.


Listing NGR: TA0377839318

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.