History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

38-46, the Pantiles

A Grade II Listed Building in Tunbridge Wells, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1262 / 51°7'34"N

Longitude: 0.2576 / 0°15'27"E

OS Eastings: 558079

OS Northings: 138746

OS Grid: TQ580387

Mapcode National: GBR MPY.CY8

Mapcode Global: VHHQD.FY2K

Entry Name: 38-46, the Pantiles

Listing Date: 20 May 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084442

English Heritage Legacy ID: 168142

Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Town: Tunbridge Wells

Electoral Ward/Division: Pantiles and St Mark's

Built-Up Area: Royal Tunbridge Wells

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Tunbridge Wells King Charles the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Royal Tunbridge Wells

Listing Text

THE PANTILES
1.
1746
(North West Side)
Nos 38 to 46 (even)
TQ 5838 NW 1/297 20.5.52
II GV
2.
The site of the present Nos 40-46 The Pantiles was previously occupied by the
Assembly and Great Gaming rooms, presided over by Beau Nash who was Master of
Ceremonies from 1735-176l. The present building is Mid C19. Nos 38-44 are 4
storeys stuccoed. Wide bracket cornice. 3 3-light canted bays with some glazing
bars intact flanked by rusticated pilasters. Cast iron and stone balcony on
the lst floor. Later C19 shop fronts. No 46 has ground and lst floors of the
late C18 to early C19 of wood grooved in imitation of masonry. The 2nd floor,
which is set back, is later C19 having 2 curved gables and 2 sashes with verticals
only and hood moulding over. The lst floor has 3 sashes with glazing bars intact
and 3 wrought iron balconettes. Central doorcase with 6 panelled door and moulded
surround. Colonnade of l0 columns with foliated capitals which probably remains
from the C18 building.
Nos 2 to 28 (even) and Nos 38 to 72 (even) form a group.


Listing NGR: TQ5807838754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.