History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8-36 Monson Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Tunbridge Wells, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1335 / 51°8'0"N

Longitude: 0.2655 / 0°15'55"E

OS Eastings: 558604

OS Northings: 139579

OS Grid: TQ586395

Mapcode National: GBR MPS.V87

Mapcode Global: VHHQD.KR6X

Entry Name: 8-36 Monson Road

Listing Date: 7 June 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084450

English Heritage Legacy ID: 168065

Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Town: Tunbridge Wells

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Royal Tunbridge Wells

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Tunbridge Wells Holy Trinity with Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Royal Tunbridge Wells

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/10/2016

TQ 5839 NE 6/259

MONSON ROAD (North Side)
Nos 8 to 36 (even)


GV
II
Terrace, circa 1870, with a parade of shops at street level. Built over four storeys, with ground-floor shops, and residential storeys set back above. The original shopfronts had large canted windows with colonnettes to the corners, and central entrances flanked by slender cast-iron columns with barleysugar shafts; a significant proportion of historic elements survives in several of the existing shopfronts (Nos 16, 18, 20, 26). The top of the parade forms a walkway, bordered by a decorative cast-iron balustrade with integral lamp standards. Round-headed doorways opening from the walkway are accessed by steps from the street; openings between the shopfronts are framed by tiled pilasters. Above the walkway, the buildings are of yellow brick with stucco dressings; the windows have timber sash frames. Each building is defined by a small pedimented gable, some with paired windows and some a single window; beneath this is a double-height canted bay, the angles of the windows having cast-iron colonnettes. Each storey, as well as the eaves, is marked by a moulded storey-band or cornice.

No 8 to 36 (even) form a group.


Listing NGR: TQ5860439579

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.