History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dunk's School and Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Hawkhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0475 / 51°2'51"N

Longitude: 0.5124 / 0°30'44"E

OS Eastings: 576201

OS Northings: 130578

OS Grid: TQ762305

Mapcode National: GBR PTX.BC9

Mapcode Global: FRA C6YB.ZCG

Entry Name: Dunk's School and Almshouses

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169751

Location: Hawkhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN18

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Hawkhurst

Built-Up Area: Hawkhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Listing Text

HAWKHURST RYE ROAD
TQ 7630-7730 (north side)

Highgate
17/401 Dunk's School and
Almshouses (Nos 1 to 6)
9.6.52
GV II
School and almshouses. Dated 1723, altered C19. Red brick, in 2 shades, with
plain tiled roof. Central school block with flanking almshouse wings of 3
cottages each. Central block of 2 storeys with plinth, plat band and brick dog-
tooth cornice to pyramidal roof with wooden clock turret, with arcaded top piece,
leaded roof and finial. Stack to right. Three wooden casements on first floor,
and 2 cross-windows on ground floor, all with gauged heads, with boarded door to
right with open pedimented hood on paired brackets, partly obscuring the original
gauged door head. Flanking wings of lower 2 storeys, with plat band and wooden
cornice (at plat level of central block). half-hipped roofs with 2 stacks to each
wing. Six wooden casements to each block on first floor, arranged in pairs, and 4
wooden casements with boarded doors to left and to right on ground floor, the
central openings originally doorways, all with flat-arched heads. Parallel wings
to rear with lower roof lines, tile hung with irregular fenestration of wooden
casements, the central block with large hipped extension. To the centre of the
main elevation is a raised brick panel with this inscription. Given by Sr Thomas
Dunk K+. 1723. Founded under the terms of Sir Thomas's will (d.1718), who left
£2000 for a free school and almshouses for 6 decayed housekeepers (3 men and 3
women). See Hasted, vol VII, p.152).


Listing NGR: TQ7620130578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.