History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bedgebury Lower School collingwood House and Wall Attached

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hawkhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0363 / 51°2'10"N

Longitude: 0.505 / 0°30'18"E

OS Eastings: 575727

OS Northings: 129313

OS Grid: TQ757293

Mapcode National: GBR PTX.VYD

Mapcode Global: FRA C6YC.W0G

Entry Name: Bedgebury Lower School collingwood House and Wall Attached

Listing Date: 20 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084640

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169665

Location: Hawkhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN18

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Hawkhurst

Built-Up Area: Hawkhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Hawkhurst

Listing Text

HAWKHURST HASTINGS ROAD
TQ 7429-7529 (east side)

18/315 Collingwood House
(Bedgebury Lower School)
20.6.67 and wall attached
GV II*
House, now school. Mid C18, altered early C19. Red brick with stone dressings
and slate roofs. Three storey main block with single and 2 storeyed later wings,
basically Palladian in style with Neo-Classical alterations and details. Entrance
front: 3 storeys to centre with basement, with stone plat band and cornice to
parapet. Stacks to left. Three half-sized glazing bar sashes on second floor, 3
full size on first floor, all with moulded stone surrounds, the central window
pedimented, the outer windows on first floor with stone aprons. Segmentally
headed tripartite glazing bar sashes on ground floor in enriched and bracketed
surrounds. Central doubled half-glazed doors with fanlight and side-lights in
Doric porch with coupled columns (originally an open porch), the inner doors also
half-glazed. Railed basement area. Single storey extension to left with plinth,
discontinuous plat band and parapet to hipped roof, with 2 recessed round-headed
glazing bar sashes and apsidal end wall. Two storey and basement wing projecting
at right, with parapet and stacks to right. Three glazing bar sashes on each
floor, half sized on first floor, in moulded surrounds. Rear elevation with 7
glazing bar sashes on each floor and canted bay on ground floor. Interior:
geometrical main stair with stick balusters on scrolled treads and with wreathed
handrail and flanking niches in top lit well. Plaster barrel vaulted entrance
hall with Ionic screen to corridor. Apsidal room with traceried rose window fan-
light over exterior door. Heavily beamed and coffered Neo-Classical ceiling to
another ground floor room. Back stair with turned newels and ramped rail with
flying dog-leg over passageway. The house was bought by Sir John Herscliel in
1840, who died here in 1871. Like his father, a noted astronomer, (President of
the Royal Astronomical Society), Master of the Mint, 1850 and Pioneer of Photog-
raphy (coined the terms 'positive' and 'negative'. Projecting from end right is a
red brick wall, about 10 feet high and projecting about 30 yards in a double curve
to the north west.


Listing NGR: TQ7572729313

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.