History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Goudhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.119 / 51°7'8"N

Longitude: 0.464 / 0°27'50"E

OS Eastings: 572542

OS Northings: 138408

OS Grid: TQ725384

Mapcode National: GBR PSW.XSJ

Mapcode Global: VHJN5.044J

Entry Name: The Grange

Listing Date: 22 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084707

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169525

Location: Goudhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Goudhurst

Built-Up Area: Goudhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Goudhurst

Listing Text

GOUDHURST GRANGE LANE
TQ 73 NW (east side)

5/175
The Grange
II
House. C16 or earlier, altered 1690 and late C19. Timber-framed and rendered
with plain tiled roof. Main range of 5 framed bays with extensive wings to rear.
Two storeys and attic on plinth, with moulded wooden eaves cornice to hipped roof
with gablets and moulded stacks to centre left, rear right and rear end right.
Three gabled dormers, the bargeboards moulded and bracketed. Five 2-light leaded
casements on 1st floor with label hoods and bracketed cills, and 2 on ground floor
with canted bays to end left and to end right. Central gabled porch with arched
and hooded outer doorway and half-glazed door. Return elevations with bay and
casements with labels and bracketed cills. Rear wing with moulded bressummer
(originally jettied, now underbuilt) and moulded gabled roof. Illustrated in
F Esam. The Manor and Farmhouses of Kent (c.1906) which shows extensive hipped
rear wings and pierced parapeted (garden terrace to rear of house. Esam gives the
date 1690 and notes exposed oak beams, oak staircase, carved ceiling joists, and
large fireplace and panelling in entrance hall taken from Welbeck Askey (panelling
is visible in the entrance hall). Although still inhabited, the property very
dilapidated at time of survey.


Listing NGR: TQ7254238408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.