History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Bubhurst

A Grade II* Listed Building in Frittenden, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1454 / 51°8'43"N

Longitude: 0.6172 / 0°37'1"E

OS Eastings: 583159

OS Northings: 141712

OS Grid: TQ831417

Mapcode National: GBR QV7.0W0

Mapcode Global: VHJN1.NG4T

Entry Name: Great Bubhurst

Listing Date: 20 June 1967

Last Amended: 22 June 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169352

Location: Frittenden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Frittenden

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Headcorn

Listing Text

FRITTENDEN BUBHURST LANE
TQ 84 SW (north side)

3/3
Great Bubhurst (formerly
20.6.67 listed as Bubhurst)
- II*
House. Early C16, extended c.1727 and altered 1790. Timber framed and
exposed close studding with plaster infill, and extended with timber frame
clad with tile hanging on red and blue brick ground floor. Plain tiled roof. Entrance front: 2 storeys and garret on plinth, tile hung first floor with modillion eaves cornice to roofwith stacks projecting and offset at end left
and at end right. Regular fenestration of 3 tripartite glazing bar sashes on first floor, and 2 on ground floor with segmental heads. Central door of 6
panels with rectangular fanlight and moulded and modillioned flat hood on scrolled brackets. Ground floor extended with lean-to roof to end left (originally a bakehouse or brewery) now with half-glazed door to left return
with triangular head. Dated to left of central door:
William and: P
Brown R&H
1727 1790
Rear wing (C16) of 4 framed bays at right angles to entrance elevation. Two storeys on stone plinth with continuous jetty on brackets. Hipped roof with
gablet to left, and stack to rear left. Four wooden casements on first floor,
and tripartite wooden casement, metal casement, large tripartite wooden
casement with segmental head and glazing bar sash on ground floor. Blocked doorway to centre left, with portion of (re-used?) moulded beam to centre
right. Half rail throughout ground floor. Rear elevation with catslide
outshot and projecting bread oven with stack and stoke-holes at 2 levels,
the copper with iron fire-door.
Interior: dais screen with vertical lapped boarding and parlour doorway and
slightly coved dais beam. Doorway to service end with indented spandrels.
Mullioned windows (especially preserved by outshot). Large inglenook with
rounded backs. Crown-post roof, the posts rectangular and unmoulded in
sections. C18 wing with 1790 carved in rear of inglenook bressummer; with straight flight of stairs and landing with stick balusters and turned newels.


Listing NGR: TQ8315941712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.