History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Providence Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cranbrook, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0959 / 51°5'45"N

Longitude: 0.5361 / 0°32'9"E

OS Eastings: 577678

OS Northings: 136008

OS Grid: TQ776360

Mapcode National: GBR PTC.BC4

Mapcode Global: FRA D607.2PW

Entry Name: Providence Chapel

Listing Date: 9 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084808

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169090

Location: Cranbrook, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Cranbrook & Sissinghurst

Built-Up Area: Cranbrook

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Cranbrook

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/01/2013


TQ 7736 SE
10/99
20.6.67


CRANBROOK
STONE STREET
(west side)
Providence Chapel

II*


Presbyterian chapel. 1795, 1803, 1808, 1818 and 1828 with late C19 alterations.
Timber-framed and weatherboarded with slate roofs, hidden by parapet to front.
Weatherboarded to front on first floor with masonry grooving on wooden
supports of which one column has a Doric capital. The rest renewed or altered.
Polygonal front of 7 faces on first floor. The central five with tall round-
headed sashes with glazing bars in open boxes, the centre window being false.
Ground floor to rear has evidence of two different builds of brick work.
Staircases to chapel against westernmost bay of polygonal front and against
east wall, which continues to gallery. INTERIOR: Baptisting under polygonal
front in centre of floor in front of pulpit, (1914). Vestries also on ground
floor. Chapel has flat plaster ceiling with ceiling beams showing stages
of enlargement. South and west galleries with reeded edges to panels
separated by reeded pilasters, all supported on columns, now marbled. Pulpit
with 5-sided front and applied reeded mouldings to panels, supported on two
marbled fluted columns. Seating, of early C19, benches with backs filled
later. See B.O.E., W Kent, P237.


Listing NGR: TQ7767836008

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.