History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Clock Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Canterbury, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.373 / 51°22'22"N

Longitude: 1.1263 / 1°7'34"E

OS Eastings: 617689

OS Northings: 168411

OS Grid: TR176684

Mapcode National: GBR TWZ.X5M

Mapcode Global: VHLG2.GRTB

Entry Name: The Clock Tower

Listing Date: 29 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1085006

English Heritage Legacy ID: 170687

Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT6

County: Kent

District: Canterbury

Town: Canterbury

Electoral Ward/Division: Heron

Built-Up Area: Herne Bay

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Herne Bay

Listing Text

1.
5273 CENTRAL PARADE
Herne Bay
----------------
The Clock Tower
TR 1768 SE 1/7 29.9.51.

II

2.
Erected in 1836-7. Architect Edwin J Dangerfield. Portland stone. Round tower
surrounded on the ground floor by 4 fluted Doric columns on each front (counting
the corner ones twice) supporting a triglyph frieze and projecting cornice (of
which the centre is recessed with a panel inserted) with 4 steps above. Inset
on these steps stand 4 Corinthian columns surrounding the tower, with between them
on the east and west fronts a round-headed niche with an architrave over supported
on consoles. The columns support an entablature with dentilled cornice. Above
this the tower is square, each face flanked by pilasters with leaf capitals and
containing a clock face. Entablature and pediment above on each face, and then
an octagonal cupola containing 4 round-headed openings with pilasters between them,
cornice, parapet and dome over surmounted by pinnacle and weather vane. On the
east and west fronts of the ground floor is a doorway in moulded architrave surround,
wider at the bottom than the top, with pediment over supported on consoles and
containing double doors of 6 fielded panels. The north and south fronts have window
spaces in moulded architrave surrounds with cornice over of which that on the north
side has been converted into a war memorial of the South African War. The panel
inserted in the entablature of the ground floor on the east aide has the inscription: -
"The gift of Mrs Ann Thwaites to this town, 11 October, A.D. 1837." 2 cannons
now stand between the columns on the seaward side.


Listing NGR: TR1768968411


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 November 2016

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.