This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1025 / 51°6'9"N
Longitude: 0.394 / 0°23'38"E
OS Eastings: 567703
OS Northings: 136414
OS Grid: TQ677364
Mapcode National: GBR NRN.Y41
Mapcode Global: VHJN3.SK45
Entry Name: Caroline Cottage/Youth Club (The Institute)
Listing Date: 10 October 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085281
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170046
Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Lamberhurst
Built-Up Area: Lamberhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Lamberhurst St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
LAMBERHURST SCHOOL HILL
8/209 Caroline Cottage/Youth
Club (the Institute)
School/Working Mens Club, now house. 1854 for the Morland family; Caveler and
Hooker of Margate, architects, extended C20. Red brick with blue brick diapering and
ashlar dressings. Ornamentally tiled roof. L-shaped plan. Two storeys on plinth with
quoins and with brick buttresses to projecting wing at left. Roofs with moulded
bargeboarded gables and moulded paired stacks to centre left and corbelled out at
end right, and with 2 gabled half-dormers to centre. Two wooden cross windows on
ground floor and boarded door in half-timbered porch in re-entrant to wing with
arched braced and bargeboarded gable. Projecting wing originally a single storey
hall, with 3 light Perpendicular style depressed arched window with inscription
plaque over. All openings with ashlar surrounds. Single storey and parapet flat
roofed extension to left. The plaque, dated 1854, records three generations of
Caroline Morlands (of Lamberhurst Court Lodge); the building also recorded in Aug.
12 1854 issue of The Builder. Founded originally as an infant school, closed 1876
and re-used as a working mens' club and youth club, converted late C20 to domestic
use. See W. Morland. Lamberhurst School.
Listing NGR: TQ6770336414
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings