This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.343 / 51°20'34"N
Longitude: 1.4338 / 1°26'1"E
OS Eastings: 639237
OS Northings: 166037
OS Grid: TR392660
Mapcode National: GBR X0F.P9N
Mapcode Global: VHMCW.SHVS
Entry Name: Conservatory and Wall to Which It is Attached
Listing Date: 15 February 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171864
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Civil Parish: Ramsgate
Built-Up Area: Ramsgate
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
RAMSGATE KING GEORGE VI
TR 36 NE
and wall to
which it is
Conservatory and wall. Late C18,wall early C19 greenhouse re-erected here for
Sir Moses Montefiore. Cast iron structure with copper glazing bars all painted,
with scalloped glass panes. Brick wall. The wall, about 15 feet high
and crenellated and about 30 yards long, is the outside wall,
extended and heightened, of the courtyard (item 1/232 ). Joined to the
Lodge Cottages by a brick arch. The conservatory is built as a lean-to,
with segmental plan. Panelled base wall with long principal supports
on internal cast iron columns. Central double margin-light half-glazed
doors with side lights under pediment, with scrolled tracery. The
interior preserves not only the original structure, but also the benches,
supports and heating system. It is the finest feature of a complex of
buildings which represent the gates, lodges, staff cottages and stable/
service courtyard to the demolished East Cliff Lodge, built between
1794 and 1799 for Mr. Benjamen Bond Hopkins to the designs of a Mr.
Boncey of Margate. First rented by Sir Moses and Lady Judith
Montefiore in 1822, they purchased the house and grounds 1831 for £5500,
and was Sir Moses's permanent residence 1826 to 1885 (he died 100 years
old). The main house was demolished 1954. (See Busson, Ramsgate 107-
108; see also G. Wyatt, Sir Moses Montefiore and Ramsgate, p.3).
Listing NGR: TR3708065180
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings