History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to Woodward Family About 75 Metres North of Cemetery Chapel, with Plot Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ramsgate, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.344 / 51°20'38"N

Longitude: 1.4216 / 1°25'17"E

OS Eastings: 638386

OS Northings: 166106

OS Grid: TR383661

Mapcode National: GBR X0F.L86

Mapcode Global: VHMCW.LHF1

Entry Name: Monument to Woodward Family About 75 Metres North of Cemetery Chapel, with Plot Wall

Listing Date: 4 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1085395

English Heritage Legacy ID: 171714

Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11

County: Kent

District: Thanet

Civil Parish: Ramsgate

Built-Up Area: Ramsgate

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Ramsgate

Listing Text

RAMSGATE CECILIA ROAD
TR 36 NE
(north side)
1/85 Monument to
Woodward
Family about
75 metres north
of cemetery
chapel, with
plot wall
GV
II
Monument to Woodward family. Circa 1920. Elliott and Sons of Ramsgate,
monumental masons, bronze plaques signed by Joseph G. Woodward. Black
marble, with white marble plot wall. Low moulded wall with corner piers
and ball finials. Central obelisk on cross-shaped base. Pedimented
top with ball finial. Woodward family name engraved at base of eastern
face, with family inscriptions on 3 sides, and inscription on north face,
dedicated to "The Brotherhood of English Speaking Peoples", to those
who died in the Great War, to Motherhood ("The Heroes of Humdrum") to the
animals and birds who have suffered and died at the hands of man, "And
to the gradually disappearing wildlife of the Earth". Dedicated by
Joseph George Woodward. In each face of the pedimented top piece are
bronze relief plaques, signed by J.G. Woodward, depicting seals and
seal lions. Progress in the Education of Seals 1878 and Sea Lions 1883;
1878, saving Life from drowning; 1898 the first sea lion equilibrists;
1916-1917 Admiralty work: submarine detector improvements (all with
appropriate dramatic scenes).

Listing NGR: TR3869865767

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.