History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St George's Hall star Snooker Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Ramsgate, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3342 / 51°20'3"N

Longitude: 1.4167 / 1°25'0"E

OS Eastings: 638096

OS Northings: 165002

OS Grid: TR380650

Mapcode National: GBR X0L.C0J

Mapcode Global: VHMCW.HQTK

Entry Name: St George's Hall star Snooker Centre

Listing Date: 4 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1085410

English Heritage Legacy ID: 171745

Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11

County: Kent

District: Thanet

Civil Parish: Ramsgate

Built-Up Area: Ramsgate

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Ramsgate

Listing Text

RAMSGATE GEORGE STREET
TR 3865 SW
(south side)
9/115 St. George's
Hall, (Star
Snooker Centre)
GV II
Assembly rooms, now clubhouse. 1840's. Stock brick, with red brick
parapet, and with rendered details and slate roof. Single storey on
rusticated basement with moulded cill band and rusticated quoins to
cornice parapet, with C20 brick courses over with roof hipped to left,
and gabled to right with stack. Six large casements with glazing bars
in moulded surrounds with cornices, and 5 blank keyed window spaces in
basement. Double panelled doors with cornice over to right in
recessed wing with glazing bar sash in moulded surround over. Two
glazing bar casements with boarded door to left return. Second
recessed 2 storey wing to right, without the rendered details, with glazing
bar sash on each floor. The building was originally the Assembly Rooms
(Royal Assembly Rooms late C19), headquarters by late C19 of Volunteer
Battalion; Shanly's Electric Theatre, opened December 1911, later the
Star Cinema, and subsequently a furniture warehouse and now snooker
club. Probably built by Woodland and Grundy, 2 local builders who
developed Caven dish Street (q.v.) and George Street after 1839. (See
Busson 66; Kelly's Directories 1884, 1898, 1911).

Listing NGR: TR3809665002

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.