This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2562 / 51°15'22"N
Longitude: 1.0092 / 1°0'33"E
OS Eastings: 610072
OS Northings: 155088
OS Grid: TR100550
Mapcode National: GBR SX1.3ZM
Mapcode Global: VHKK4.FPWB
Entry Name: The Deanery
Listing Date: 30 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171064
Location: Chartham, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Chartham
Built-Up Area: Shalmsford Street
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 CHARTHAM BOLTS HILL
TR 1055 29/227 30.1.67.
Interior features of early C14 and late C14 but exterior C18. The north-west
front is dated 1745. Two storeys red brick. Tiled roof in three hips. Parapet.
Stringcourse. Seven sashes with glazing bars intact. Doorcase with moulded
architrave surround with flat hood over and door of six fielded panels. Rainwater
head inscribed "1745 L ". Modern bay of 3 windows on the ground floor. Modern
additions to the north-east. Of the south-east front, the centre portion,
which is of one storey only, is contemporary. It has 2 Venetian windows and
between them, a wide porch with coupled fluted columns, and a doorcase containing
double doors of six moulded panels. On each side is a modern gabled portion
of two storeys and attics in the place of the original projecting wings which
were demolished in the early C20. The interior contains the roof and three
walls of the Great Hall built by Prior Henry of Eastry in 1303. The roof form
is of paired rafters with two collars, the lower one being supported by raking
struts. Two crownposts of the solar built by Prior Chillenden in 1394 remain.
Frescos survive at the east end of the hall. There are also a Jacobean fireplace
with carved and panelled overmantel, an C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters
to each step and C18 Adam style marble fireplace and panelled doors.
This was before the reformation a country residence of the Priors of Christ
Church Priory Canterbury. After the Reformation the Deans of Canterbury used
it as a country residence. In C17 it was sold to a Leghorn merchant Anthony
Listing NGR: TR1007255087
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings