This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2569 / 51°15'24"N
Longitude: 1.1423 / 1°8'32"E
OS Eastings: 619352
OS Northings: 155550
OS Grid: TR193555
Mapcode National: GBR TYK.1MD
Mapcode Global: VHLGN.RN7T
Entry Name: The Old Palace
Listing Date: 14 March 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170970
Location: Bekesbourne-with-Patrixbourne, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Bekesbourne-with-Patrixbourne
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 BEKESBOURNE OLD PALACE ROAD
The Old Palace
TR 15 NE 9/116
The house itself was built by Robert Packham in the late C18. Two storeys
and attics stuccoed. Hipped tiled roof. Castellated parapet with a pediment
in the centre concealing 2 dormers. Seven sashes with glazing bars missing.
Modern ground floor portion built out along most of the front. At the east
end of the south front is a C19 addition forming an L-wing, Thomas Cranmer,
Archbishop of Canterbury from 1533-1554, built a Palace here in 1552, which
was enlarged by Archbishop Matthew Parker later in the C16. This was demolished
during the Civil War and only the Gatehouse remains which is now a Cottage
adjoining on the south-east of the house known as The Old Palace.
Listing NGR: TR1935255550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings