This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4063 / 51°24'22"N
Longitude: 0.5264 / 0°31'34"E
OS Eastings: 575810
OS Northings: 170503
OS Grid: TQ758705
Mapcode National: GBR PPH.MXH
Mapcode Global: VHJLN.2XM9
Entry Name: The Barracks
Listing Date: 14 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085742
English Heritage Legacy ID: 172875
Location: Frindsbury Extra, Medway, ME2
Civil Parish: Frindsbury Extra
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Frindsbury All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 7570 SE FRINDSBURY EXTRA HIGH STREET, Upnor
The Barracks, Upnor Castle
Barracks, now store and museum. 1717-18, for the Board of Ordnance. Red English bond brick with ridge and gable stacks, and tiled valley roof Double-depth plan, divided into 3 separate sections by spine and central rear transverse walls.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 5-window range. Symmetrical front has a plinth, rusticated brick quoins to a second floor cornice, attic with wooden eaves cornice, parapet and paired, coped gables. Flat-roofed porch with cornice and parapet, steps up to round-arched doorways each side, a small segmental-arched window in the front, and a segmental-arched doorway with panelled double doors; segmental-arched 6/6-pane sashes and smaller second-floor windows, the outer ones paired with a lead downpipe and dated hopper between. Left-hand double basement doors in the plinth. Cornices extend to returns with paired gables, 2 attic sashes to the front gable and 2 oculi to the rear, each with a doorway to the rear. The rear left-hand gable has a weather vane.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby to a dogleg stair with uncut string and plain rail to a first-floor landing with trap door; the rear sections each have dogleg stairs up from the side entrances; collar truss roof with through purlins. Cast-iron C19 fireplaces, and wooden clothes racks in former bedrooms.
HISTORY: accommodated the garrison for Upnor Castle (qv), from 1668 one of the largest powder stores in the country. In the early C19 it housed 2 officers in the front section, and 64 soldiers in the rear. One of the first purpose-built barracks in England, in the style associated with Hawksmoor and the Ordnance Board at this time, and part of a Erne group with the Castle.
(English Heritage Handbook: Saunders A D: Upnor Castle, Kent: London: 1985-: 15).
Listing NGR: TQ7581070502
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings