History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friary Court friary Court and Old Friary old Friary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southfleet, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4139 / 51°24'49"N

Longitude: 0.3177 / 0°19'3"E

OS Eastings: 561274

OS Northings: 170866

OS Grid: TQ612708

Mapcode National: GBR YX.LSP

Mapcode Global: VHHP2.GQBH

Entry Name: Friary Court friary Court and Old Friary old Friary

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Last Amended: 17 March 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1085828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172661

Location: Southfleet, Dartford, Kent, DA13

County: Kent

District: Dartford

Civil Parish: Southfleet

Built-Up Area: Southfleet

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Southfleet St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Northfleet

Listing Text

1.
5274 SOUTHFLEET HOOK GREEN ROAD
(east side)

Friary Court and
Old Friary
(formerly listed as
The Rectory)
TQ 6170 12/27 1.8.52

II*


2.
C14 house, probably built by Thomas de Alkham, rector of Southfleet from 1323,
altered and enlarged in the C19. The west and south fronts are the principal
mediaeval portion. Two storeys and attics. Four windows and 3 gabled dormers
facing west. Originally faced with flints but partly refaced in cement. Hipped
tiled roof, the right hand portion with gablet, originally a smoke louvre. One
trefoil-headed lancet window in the first floor. One window of 2 wider trefoil-headed
lights with dripstone over on the ground floor. The other windows date from the
C18 or C19. The west front is also faced with flints but in front of its south
half is a gabled projection added in the C16-C17. The north end is a C19 addition
with a bell to the attic storey. Internally the arrangement is of open hall and
cross wings and the south wing contained the solar. This wing has at the rear
one hall window, with a mullion and transom and sexfoiled ogees in the square
head and the remains of a crown post roof.


Listing NGR: TQ6127470862

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.