History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whyteladies

A Grade II Listed Building in Sevenoaks, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2827 / 51°16'57"N

Longitude: 0.2133 / 0°12'47"E

OS Eastings: 554449

OS Northings: 156058

OS Grid: TQ544560

Mapcode National: GBR MMZ.DRR

Mapcode Global: VHHPS.N03Z

Entry Name: Whyteladies

Listing Date: 12 June 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1085972

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172282

Location: Sevenoaks, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Sevenoaks

Built-Up Area: Sevenoaks

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Sevenoaks St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Sevenoaks

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:


SEVENOAKS WILDERNESSE AVENUE
TQ 55 NW
3/168 Whyteladies
II

House. Built in 1928 by Baillie Scott, Wilder G E Wallis in a style partly
derived from the cottage orne, partly the more usual Kentish Vernacular. Front
is mainly painted brick with tiled roof and right hand end chimney stack.
Principal feature is a gabled staircase tower, offset to left with pointed
window with stained glass to top and opaque glass to base. 3 flat roofed
dormers. Ground floor has 3 casements to ground floor of main house and 2
smaller ones to servants' wing to right. Hipped tiled porch supported on wooden
brackets with plank door and 3 steps. Right side elevation has massive brick
chimney stack with tumbling in. To the left is a projecting gable with 1st
floor casement and ground floor 5 light canted bay. To right is a 2 storey
gable with 2 3-light pointed windows (the upper ones with 3 diamond lights) and
simple door. Rear elevation is mainly painted brick but some render, some
timber framing and some tile hanging. 2 projecting tile hung gables, the left
one overhanging. Centre is timber framed. 3 casement windows. Ground floor
has 2 canted bays. Interior has internal structural framing. Entrance hall has
beamed ceiling and panelling and staircase of early C18 type, the lower part
with turned balusters and newel post with urn finial, the upper part with splat
balusters. Lounge has fireplace with marble surround and oak overmantel with
built in china cupboard. 1 ceiling beam has lambs stongue stop, the other has a
run out stop and arched braces. Panelled dining room with cambered brick fire-
place. See The Builder January 1929. Houses & Gardens 1933. Illustrated on
p.478 of Kornwolf's 'M H Baillie Scott and The Arts & Crafts Movement'.


Listing NGR: TQ5444956058

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.