History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bat and Ball Railway Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Sevenoaks, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2898 / 51°17'23"N

Longitude: 0.194 / 0°11'38"E

OS Eastings: 553086

OS Northings: 156805

OS Grid: TQ530568

Mapcode National: GBR T4.KLK

Mapcode Global: VHHPL.9VY3

Entry Name: Bat and Ball Railway Station

Listing Date: 24 July 1990

Last Amended: 31 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1085975

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172286

Location: Sevenoaks, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN14

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Sevenoaks

Built-Up Area: Sevenoaks

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Sevenoaks St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Sevenoaks

Listing Text

In the entry for:

SEVENOAKS Bat and Ball
TQ 55 NW
Railway Station
3/168 II
The entry shall be amended to read:
TQ 55 NW SEVENOAKS Bat and Ball
Railway Station
3/169 II

Railway Station. 1862, the original terminus for Sevenoaks before the main line was
built in 1868. It comprises Station offices and waiting room with Station Master's
House at the NE end. Built in London yellow stocks with string courses in red, dark
blue and cream with dark blue slate roof. 1 storey to centre with gable end to SW
and 2 storey Station Master's House at NE end. 9 windows in all. Both gables are
plain barge boarded, the south west gable has a circular bricked-up window feature.
The station gable ends (back and front) have a decorative red brick band of pseudo
machicolations. This feature also runs along the top of the recessed walls under
the canopies, back and front. The two double entrance doors and 4 windows are
recessed into an entrance portico, with typical carved valance boards under the
eaves. The portico roof is supported on 2 wooden columns plus brackets, the
NE column retaining its hook and eye for the horses reins. The windows are
segmental arched with red brick voussoirs and cream terracotta keystones and
springers, each with trefoil motif. All windows are double-hung sashes, with
horns on the upper sash and with one vertical glazing bar per sash. These glazing
bars end in 'capitals' with responds in the top corners of the sash. The fanlights
over the double doors are subdivided into a circle with two semi-circles below. The
Platform side shows a single storey building with gable ends to right and left, each
with plain barge boards and a bricked-circular window feature. The centre of the
building is recessed, the eaves beam with its valance boards being supported on a
single wooden column. Minor later extensions have been added at each end.

------------------------------------

SEVENOAKS Bat and Ball
TQ 55 NW
Railway Station
3/168
II

Railway Station. 1862, the original terminus for Sevenoaks before the main line
was built in 1868. It comprises Station offices and waiting room with Station Master's
House at the NE end. Built in London yellow stocks with strong courses in red,
dark blue and cream with dark blue slate roof. 1 storey to centre with gable end
to SW and 2 storey station master's house at NE end. 9 windows in all. Both gables
are plain large boarded, the south west gable has a circular bricked-up window feature.
The station gable ends (back and front) have a decorative red brick band of pseudo
machicolations. This feature also runs along the top of the recessed walls under
the canopies, back and front. The two double entrance doors and 4 windows are-recessed
into an entrance portico, with typical curved balance boards under the eaves. The
portico roof is supported on 2 wooden columns plus brackets, the NE column retaining
its hook and eye for the horses reins. The windows are segmental arched with red
brick voussoird and cream teracotta keystones and springers, each with a trefoil
motif. All windows are double-hung sashes, with horns on the upper sash and with
one vertical glazing bar per sash. These glazing bars end in 'capitals' with responds
in the top corners of the sash. The fanlights over the double doors are subdivided
into a circle with two semi-circles below. The Platform side shows a single storey
building with gable ends to right and left, each with plain large boards and a bricked-u
circular window feature. The centre of the building is recessed, the eaves beam
with its valance boards being supported on a single wooden column. Minor later
extensions have been added at each end.


Listing NGR: TQ5308656805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.