History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Priory Farmhouse Containing the Remains of Dartford Priory Gatehouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dartford, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4477 / 51°26'51"N

Longitude: 0.2139 / 0°12'49"E

OS Eastings: 553938

OS Northings: 174402

OS Grid: TQ539744

Mapcode National: GBR TN.JLC

Mapcode Global: VHHNT.NWF2

Entry Name: Priory Farmhouse Containing the Remains of Dartford Priory Gatehouse

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 25 September 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086030

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172127

Location: Dartford, Kent, DA1

County: Kent

District: Dartford

Town: Dartford

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Bexley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Dartford Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Dartford

Listing Text

1. KINGSFIELD TERRACE
5274 (East Side)
Priory Farmhouse containing
the remains of Dartford Priory
Gatehouse (Formerly listed
as Priory Farmhouse and Gate,
Hythe Street)
TQ 5274 1/16 22.12.55.

II*

2.
Dartford Priory stood on the site of Hall's Engineering Works. It was founded
by Edward III about 1349 in the buildings of a former royal palace. New buildings
had been erected by 1356. The priory was suppressed in 1538 and the buildings
converted into a royal house which was at first occupied by Henry VIII, then granted
to Anne of Cleves by Edward VI, later used by Queen Elizabeth but alienated by
James I. The principal remains of this house consist of the Gatehouse which was
built by Henry VIII between 1541 and 1545. It was subsequently used as a farmhouse
until taken over by Hall's Works. An L-shaped building. 2 storeys red brick but
with some stone rubble to the ground floor. Tiled roof, partly replaced with glass
to form skylights. 5 casement windows. In the angle of the L is a 2 storeyed
rectangular projection. At the north end of the north wing is a blocked 4-centred
stone carriage archway with a moulded brick head and dripstone over. The interior
contains contemporary stone fireplaces and ceiling beams but has otherwise been
modernised.


Listing NGR: TQ5393874402

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.