This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.341 / 51°20'27"N
Longitude: 1.4062 / 1°24'22"E
OS Eastings: 637325
OS Northings: 165718
OS Grid: TR373657
Mapcode National: GBR X0D.VQG
Mapcode Global: VHMCW.BK7C
Entry Name: Ramsgate Station (British Rail)
Listing Date: 4 February 1988
Last Amended: 11 July 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 172019
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Civil Parish: Ramsgate
Built-Up Area: Ramsgate
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
1413/1/383 STATION APPROACH ROAD
04-FEB-88 (West side)
Ramsgate Station (British Rail)
Railway Station. 1924-6. The architect is thought to have been Edwin Maxwell Fry, chief assistant to J. R. Scott, Chief Architect to Southern Railways. Stock brick with terracotta details and tiled roof. Large central hall with flanking quadrant wings, each of 5 bays with glazing bar sashes and boarded doors. Centre block with projecting centrepiece with 3 full height semi-circular headed windows, with bolection moulded surround and console key stone. Dentilled moulded cornice and parapet to centre piece. Parapet gabled roof. Simple glazed canopy across whole of ground floor frontage with boarded doors in each arch and in flanking sections to main block. Canopy hung from iron ties with cross-scrolled centre pieces. Four escutcheons initialled "S" (for Southern Railway) between arches on main block. Interior: elliptically vaulted booking hall occupying main space, with ticket offices, canteen and toilets in ancillary wings (the Gentleman's at least with original fittings). Moulded window surrounds, door frames, wall panels and Railway and Town Coats of Arms.
Ramsgate is one of a series of 3 similar stations (Margate and the demolished Dumpton Park) all 1924-6. In 1923 E Maxwell Fry joined the Architect's Department of the Southern Railway as its chief assistant. Margate reflects Fry's classical training under Charles Reilly at the Liverpool School of Architecture, and his absorption of classical detailing and planning is the clue to this station's special qualities. Fry went on to loudly embrace the international modern style, one of the first British-born architects to do so. He later became coy about his years with Southern Railways and the true significance of these buildings has only recently been recognised.
Listing NGR: TR3732565718
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings