This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2937 / 51°17'37"N
Longitude: 0.6445 / 0°38'40"E
OS Eastings: 584476
OS Northings: 158273
OS Grid: TQ844582
Mapcode National: GBR QSB.V1L
Mapcode Global: VHJM9.4R23
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086186
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173658
Location: Hucking, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Hucking
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 85 NW HUCKING CHURCH ROAD
6/150 Church of St. Margaret
Parish church. Early Norman C1100 restored 1878. Flint with stone
dressings and plain tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel,
south chapel, north aisle, north porch. Small square louvred
wooden belfry with plain tile roof and weathervane at west end
of nave roof. No plinth. C19 stone stack to north aisle.
West end largely C19 flint with C19 lancets. Tufa, probably
inserted, in south end of west end wall. South chapel, most of
chancel, and part of east wall of north aisle retain original
flint walls, with C19 dressings; Small cusped C19 windows
to chapel, 2 C19 2-light pointed windows to south wall of chancel,
and 2 to north wall. C19 3-light Early-English style east
window. Small restored single light in east end of north aisle.
North porch C19. Door to church with 4-centred arched head, plain
chamfer, and broach stops, with plain stoup to east, probably
Medieval. Interior: 2-bay north arcade of round-headed arches,
east arch with C19 quoins, west with tufa quoins to base of west
pier. Small blocked round-headed door towards west end of south
wall. Some Medieval stonework to jambs of chancel windows. C19
roof. Partly renewed cusped piscia to south wall of chancel.
Similar uncusped piscina in south chapel. C18 pulpit with moulded
base, corniced top and fielded panels of burred wood, on later
feet. Large pink and grey circular marble font on black marble
base donated 1867, similar to that at Bicknor. Plain tomb slab
with tapered end to Elizabeth Cosbey d. 1644, at west end of
Listing NGR: TQ8447458277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings