History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Maidstone, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2892 / 51°17'21"N

Longitude: 0.5209 / 0°31'15"E

OS Eastings: 575877

OS Northings: 157469

OS Grid: TQ758574

Mapcode National: GBR PR1.0K2

Mapcode Global: VHJM6.ZV7L

Entry Name: Park House

Listing Date: 2 August 1974

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086363

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173277

Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME14

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Town: Maidstone

Electoral Ward/Division: North

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Allington

Listing Text

CHATHAM ROAD
1.
5278
(East Side)
Park House
TQ 75 NE 9/125
II*

2.
A square house built in 1792. 2 storeys and attics ashlar with stone galleting.
Mansarded slate roof. Cornice and parapet with balustraded panels inserted
in front of the dormer windows. 4 pedimented dormers. Long and short stone
quoins. 5 sashes on 3 fronts. Glazing bars intact on the 1st floor only.
On the west front is a curved bay in the centre. this has 3 windows on the
1st floor and on the ground floor 2 windows, between them a bulging semi-circular
porch projecting beyond the bay, with engaged Doric columns, triglyph frieze,
but modern door. 5 stone steps to street. The south front has an addition
of 2 storeys of lower elevation. 3 sashes, but 2 round-headed sashes on ground
floor, Stringcourse.

The interior contains a fine circular staircase with scrolled tread ends and
plain column newel post. Good moulded cornices and C18 Adamesque fireplaces.
From 1875-1893 the house was occupied by Edmund Lew Lushington, the Greek scholar
and Egyptologist, who married Tennyson's sister Cecilia. It is described in
the Prologue of ┬ĘThe Princess", Tennyson used frequently to stay there, and
also other well-known figures of the day.


Listing NGR: TQ7561457132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.