History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Parish Church of St Nicholas, with Day Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Strood North, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3961 / 51°23'46"N

Longitude: 0.4932 / 0°29'35"E

OS Eastings: 573541

OS Northings: 169295

OS Grid: TQ735692

Mapcode National: GBR PPM.KHG

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.H5LK

Entry Name: Former Parish Church of St Nicholas, with Day Centre

Listing Date: 24 October 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086418

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173212

Location: Medway, ME2

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Strood North

Built-Up Area: Rochester

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Strood St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Strood

Listing Text

STROOD HIGH STREET
TQ 7369 SE
6/277 Former Parish Church
of St Nicholas, with
Day Centre
24.10.50
II
Former parish church, now partly a day centre and partly a
chapel. W tower C14 much renewed, body of church 1812 by Robert
Smirke. Late-C19 and late-C20 additions to N, the latter for
offices to day centre. Coursed rubble ragstone, Welsh slate
roof, tower with flint and ragstone banding. The interior has
been divided, but the 3 E bays of the nave still used as a
chapel. W tower, undivided nave, shallow sanctuary, S porch.
Tower: no buttresses; the round-headed W doorway and blocked
window above do not look Norman. The flint and ragstone banding
decoration is normally taken to be C14. 3 stages and
battlements; quoining. Triple lancet belfry openings. Smirke's
nave, 5 bays, round-headed 2-light windows with transoms; renewed
stone parapet; shallow pedimented sanctuary with 4 round-headed
lancets and a roundel contained within a superordinate arch; very
wide angle pilaster strips. S porch, also pedimented, partly
glazed doors and fanlight with glazing bars. 2 late C20 glazed
doors punched into nave (S wall, to W) to serve day centre.
Interior: Perpendicular tower arch. Sanctuary ceiling and arch
with Edwardian paintings of angels on decorative background, oil
on plaster. Earlier, Victorian, stained glass to E and side
windows.


Listing NGR: TQ7354869290

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.