This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3879 / 51°23'16"N
Longitude: 0.5032 / 0°30'11"E
OS Eastings: 574271
OS Northings: 168404
OS Grid: TQ742684
Mapcode National: GBR PPN.VDG
Mapcode Global: VHJLT.NCXW
Entry Name: King's School with Walls Attached maclean House with Walls Attached
Listing Date: 2 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173127
Location: Medway, ME1
Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West
Built-Up Area: Rochester
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
ROCHESTER THE PRECINCT
TQ 7468 SW
9/195 King's School
Former Canon's house, now part of King's School. 1841, designed
by Lewis Vulliamy; enlarged in 1911. 'Tudor domestic' style. Red
brick in Flemish bond; stone plinth and basement; stucco
dressings. Kent tile gable end roofs. Central staircase plan.
2 storeys with basement and attic. Front: symmetrical 2:1:2
window range, the central bay projecting an rising a full 3
storeys under a gable with stone coping and polygonal brick
stacks with stone caps to kneelers and gable wall apex. Central
porch with 4-centred arched doorway, advanced to frontage of site
and attached to flanking rubble ragstone walls. 2-light casement
windows throughout, except for single-light slit windows to
either side of centre bay; string course connects hood moulds of
1st floor windows and returns along end elevations. Quoining o
all angles. One and 2-light windows to end elevations with
clustered shafts to gable stacks. Cluster of 6 shafts to rear
stack of front range. The 1911 rear extension carefully designed
to complement the original range.
Interior: open well stair rises arond central entrance hall.
Date and architect in toward Colvin, A Biblioqraphical Dictionary
of British Architects (1978) p 858.
Listing NGR: TQ7427168410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings