History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bishop's Court with Bishop's Court Flat and Rear Flat Attached

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rochester West, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3874 / 51°23'14"N

Longitude: 0.5011 / 0°30'3"E

OS Eastings: 574123

OS Northings: 168338

OS Grid: TQ741683

Mapcode National: GBR PPN.TS8

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.MDR9

Entry Name: Bishop's Court with Bishop's Court Flat and Rear Flat Attached

Listing Date: 24 October 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173149

Location: Medway, ME1

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West

Built-Up Area: Rochester

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Strood

Listing Text

ROCHESTER MARGARET'S STREET
TQ 7468 SW
9/216 No 24: Bishop's
Court with Bishop's
Court flat and rear
flat attached
24.10.50
GV II*
House, now Bishop's Palace. Builds of C15, C1600, C1678, early
and later C18, 1845 (dated), 1920s and 1961. The house was left
to the bishops of Rochester in the late C17, sold by the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the C19 and re-purchased by them
to form the present bishop's residence. Knapped flint with brick
dressings to early build, red brick to later additions; Kent tile
roofs. 2 storeys with attics, irregular 'Z' plan, mostly double
depth pile; single storey with attics to 1920s addition along St
Margaret's Street. Garden front (to rear) reveals a substantial
2 and 3 chamber 2 storey house of c.1600 with 2 rectangular 2
storey bays and massive external stack. Circa 1920 ground floor
render, 2 canted brick 2 storey bays with oak mullioned and
transomed leaded casement windows in C17 style. South gable has
stack with 2 set offs bracketted coping and 3 diamond-set flues.
Set offs continue as flinted string course across gable and
garden front. On garden front at north a 2-bay C18 brick
extension possibly concealing earlier build. 2 ground floor
2-leaf 16 pane French doors, 2 first floor 12-pane sashes with
glazing bars under cambered soldier arches. Attics have 2 c.1920
gables over bays, one central c.1920 5 light casement, and to
left 2 light casement dormers. Gable at north has c.1600 work
at ground floor, C18 brick skin, c.1920 brick and flint
alterations above. Substantial north return has datestone RW1845
with 5 ground floor c.1920 casements, 4 first and 4 second floor
sash windows with glazing bars. 4 prominent stacks. Entrance
front has 1961 neo-Georgian single storey entrance wing at
centre, 2-storey, 2-bay wing of C18 date to left with hipped
roof. To right, early C18 wing with complex roof pattern of 4
different pitches, incorporating inside a staircase (see below)
said to be of 1678. This is brought forward to line of road with
3 storey, 3 bay facade, parapet roof. 2 ground, 3 first floor
12 pane and 2 second floor 9 pane sashes, at first floor under
c.1700 segmental and at second floor under flat rubbed brick
arches. Single storey wing with attics attached along street at
north, c.1920. 4 ground floor and 5 dormer casements. Carriage
arch. 2-storey elevation to service court at rear. Interior:
Earlier build is c.1500 quadripartite vaulted undercroft,
arranged as chapel with imported C16-17 mannerist woodwork,
panelling and stalls. One ground floor room at south against
gable has late C17 raised and fielded wooden panelling, bolection
mouldings to panels, 4 beams, box cornices. Impressive
staricase said to be 1678: to first floor ony, and clearly
additional to the putative original c.1600 3 cell build. Turned
balusters, stout rails dentil cornice, treads with florettes to
undersides. Heraldic beasts of mid 'C19 origin to newel heads.
Staircase continued to second floor with C19 work imitating
c.1678. First floor panelled chamber against south gable with
stile and muntin panelling, ovolo moulded stopped and chamfered
spine girder beam. 4-centre arched stone fireplace of c.1500.
Renaisance/Mannerist wooden carved overmantle.


Listing NGR: TQ7411068302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.