This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3902 / 51°23'24"N
Longitude: 0.5041 / 0°30'14"E
OS Eastings: 574321
OS Northings: 168655
OS Grid: TQ743686
Mapcode National: GBR PPN.VMD
Mapcode Global: VHJLT.PBB4
Entry Name: Public Library (Former Corn Exchange) to Rear of High Street, the Corn Exchange the Corn Exchange
Listing Date: 23 August 1974
Last Amended: 2 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086474
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173044
Location: Medway, ME1
Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West
Built-Up Area: Rochester
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
ROCHESTER HIGH STREET
TQ 7468 NW
7/114 The Corn Exchange
Former Corn Exchange. High Street facade built in 1706 'at sole
charge of Sir Cloudesley Shovell, Knight' MP for Rochester.
Range behind rebuilt in C19. Replacement Exchange erected to
rear facing Northgate in 1870 by Flockton and Abbot. High Street
facade: red brick with rusticated quoins; Kent tile roof. 2
storeys. Symmetrical 4-window range. Large pediment with
modillions, containing blind oculus with rich stucco frame, the
unbroken cornice returning to either side. 4 tall, narrow
windows to 1st floor with later glazing bars, panelled aprons and
projecting moulded blocks above keystones, dated 1706. Central
doorway with elaborate surround: swan-neck pediment on a
pulvinated frieze with carved end console brackets enclosing a
moulded round-headed arch with carved spandrels on moulded
pilasters and imposts. Fanlight with glazing bars; panelled
double doors with fixed side panels. Above the entrance a
cartouche with lettering. At cornice level a moulded beam on
carved bracket supports a large clock projecting over the street.
Moulded plinth. On the roof ridge a plain polygonal cupola
containing a single bell. The work of Shovell was never more
than a facade. Fragments of an earlier building survive behind.
Northgate range with exchange room to 1st floor, now with library
below. Masively scaled; brown brick with buff brick dressings;
hipped Welsh slate roof; continuous dentilled cornice.
Rectangular block, 3 x 5 bays; 3 storeys, the 1st storey taller
than the others to accommodate the principal room. Front (to
Northgate): regular fenestration to upper floors; 3 round-headed
windows to 2nd floor with original glazing bars; 3 tall square-
headed recessed windows to 1st floor with altered glazing bars:
the brick string courses at sill level rise to frame these
windows which are set centrally and close together. Ground-floor
openings under depressed arches with keyblocks now with 2
panelled double doors and 2 sash windows with glazing bars. 2-
storey annex to left with paired sash windows with margin panes
to 1st floor and ground floor openings as to main block. Left
and right margins with 6 2nd floor windows as front; 3 lateral
stacks with moulded caps.
Listing NGR: TQ7432968662
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.