History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Chambers bridge Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Rochester West, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3911 / 51°23'27"N

Longitude: 0.5015 / 0°30'5"E

OS Eastings: 574139

OS Northings: 168748

OS Grid: TQ741687

Mapcode National: GBR PPN.MMH

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.M9ZG

Entry Name: Bridge Chambers bridge Chapel

Listing Date: 24 October 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172966

Location: Medway, ME1

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West

Built-Up Area: Rochester

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Strood

Listing Text

ROCHESTER ESPLANADE
TQ 7468 NW
7/35 Bridge Chapel and
No 5 (Bridge
24.10.50 Chambers)
19.2.70
GV II
Chapel with offices of the Rochester Bridge Fund. Chapel built
and endowed as a chantry by Sir John de Cobham in 1386-7 at the
S end of the bridge he and Sir Robert Knowlles built across the
Medway (demolished 1856); it fell into ruin and was restored and
partially rebuilt in 1937. Bridge Chambers, 1879 to replace an
early-C18 building. ragstone (random to chapel, snecked to
Chambers); Kent tile roofs. Chapel. W end: 1937 3-light window;
medieval central door with hood mould flanked by 3-light
straight-headed windows, under hood moulds, the lights cusped,
all much renewed. Old roof line visible under parapet. N side
with blocked window; a doorway (visible internally) once led into
what is now the garden of the Castle Club, but there is no
evidence to indicate the plan or extent of the buildings
associated with the chapel. Interior: W gallery, re-using
medieval fragments. 2 piscinas to S. N door (blocked) has tall
pointed inner arch with single chamfer. 2 light windows either
blocked or with renewed tracery, but inner arches original in
part. Roof (5 bays) 1937. Weathered (formerly external) string
course to S wall now visible from within Chambers. Bridge
Chambers. Entrance hall with trustees' Board Room above, central
stair to rear, other principal offices, 1st floor S, 2 storeys.
An informal composition but presenting a symmetrical front to
Esplanade: parapet with coping and cornice string rises to form
a stepped gable above central combined porch and oriel; canted
porch with large doorway under hood mould, half glazed double
doors with tracery bars, and single-light square-headed side
windows; narrower 1:4:1 light oriel with transom, and leaded
roof. Later 2-light ground floor window to left. Right return
(to Castle Hill); irregular elevation with canted wing to right
(with single-light windows under hood moulds to 1st floor, and
without hood moulds to ground floor) connected by plain angled
stair turret to lefthand bay with 3-light window to each floor;
parapet with central stepped gable over this bay continues over
wing. Rear with stair turret and large 3-light transomed window
lighting stairs. Interior: good joinery, open well stair,
panelling to Board Room, and ceilings. One stone C16-style
fireplace. The Bridge Chapel and No 5 Esplanade were originally
listed as two separate items.


Listing NGR: TQ7413468748

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.