This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.971 / 54°58'15"N
Longitude: -1.6096 / 1°36'34"W
OS Eastings: 425090
OS Northings: 564115
OS Grid: NZ250641
Mapcode National: GBR SPV.3N
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.79SZ
Entry Name: 2 and 4, Mosley Street
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304714
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2564 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE MOSLEY STREET
21/391 Nos. 2 and 4
Bank, now offices. 1908 by Newcombe and Newcombe for Alliance Assurance Co. Ltd.
Sandstone ashlar with pink granite plinth and porch. Roof not visible.
Palladian style. 3 storeys, 5 bays and 3-bay curved left entrance section. High
ground floor with plinth, deeper at right on slope, containing right end door with
overlight in architrave; left corner entrance, of Tuscan columns flanked by narrow
windows, holds recessed double door, and overlight with radiating glazing bars, under
swagged frieze and cornice. Above this, giant Ionic Order containing pedimented
first-floor window and second-floor window in lugged architrave. Elevation to
Mosley Street has tall round-headed ground-floor windows, pediments to those on
first floor except in the outer bays which have swagged segmental-headed surrounds;
lugged architraves on second floor. Deep modillioned cornice. Tall, corniced,
Listing NGR: NZ2509064114
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings