History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Combwell Priory and Walled Garden

A Grade II Listed Building in Goudhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.074 / 51°4'26"N

Longitude: 0.4334 / 0°26'0"E

OS Eastings: 570567

OS Northings: 133331

OS Grid: TQ705333

Mapcode National: GBR NS3.ND4

Mapcode Global: FRA C6S8.YFM

Entry Name: Combwell Priory and Walled Garden

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169560

Location: Goudhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN5

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Goudhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Lamberhurst

Listing Text

GOUDHURST LONDON ROAD
TQ 73 SW (north side)

9/210
Combwell Priory and
9.6.52 walled garden
II
House. Circa 1930 and late C20 on C12 site and reusing medieval materials.
Dressed stone and plain tiled roof, with red brick, timber frame and tile hung
extensions. Main range 2 storeys, with plinth, string course and 2 storey and
attic cross-wing projecting at right with shaped kneelered parapet gable. Main
range with hipped roof, with stacks to left and at end right. Attic 3 light
stone mullioned window, with 3 light mullioned and transomed windows on each
floor of cross-wing, main range with 2 three light mullioned and transomed
windows on each floor, with 2 light to centre of 1st floor, with central plank
and stud door with side lights set in depressed-arched moulded surround with
crudely voluted Ionic pilasters in parapeted porch. Extended to right by
smaller shaped gabled range (with looped cross) fronted by large mullioned bay
window. Plain rectangular block at end right (right return timber and glazed
modern style elevation). Set in the left return of the cross-wing is a
pinnacled and crocketed ogee headed niche with a stumpy statuette of an armoured
knight. Set in the rear elevation (on earlier foundations) is a worn medieval
figure blowing a horn. Attached to the rear wing is ared and blue brick C18
wall, connected to a C18 walled garden, about 50 yards by 100 yards in extent,
and including red brick stable block on stone base. Robert de Thurnham founded
a Premonstrakusian Abbey here (tempus Henry II), in 1220 it became an
Augustinian Priory. After the Reformation it became the mansion house of
branches of the Culpepper and later Campion families, after 1657 little remained
of either the abbey or the later house.


Listing NGR: TQ7056733331

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.