This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0252 / 53°1'30"N
Longitude: -1.4784 / 1°28'42"W
OS Eastings: 435081
OS Northings: 347674
OS Grid: SK350476
Mapcode National: GBR 6CP.C1X
Mapcode Global: WHDGF.8774
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 3 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78464
Location: Belper, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE56
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Belper
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Belper St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
5167 (North Side)
Parish Church of
SK 3547 3/2 3.2.66.
Church of England. 1824. Architect Mathew Habershon. (Designs exhibited
at Royal Academy of 1824). Restored 1884. Of local grit stone from Hunger
Hill Quarry. West tower , nave sanctuary and galleries. Commissioners plan
now modiied by use of part of nave as a chancel. Decorated style. The tall
slender west tower has crenellated parapet with quatrefoil band below and angle
buttresses rising to polygonal corner turrets. Ground floor forms porch entrance.
Facade has 5 tall 2 stage windows with buttresses between each pair. Crenellated
parapet. Interior. West, north and south galleries supported on cast iron
columns. Gothick arch over sanctuary which contains wall tablets to members
of Strutt family. Monument to George Brettle 1835 by Sir Richard Westmacott.
The church is on the hillside and the tower forms a prominent landmark.
Listing NGR: SK3508147674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings