History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mills Occupied by George Brettle and Company Limited (That Part Along the Chapel Street Frontage, Bounded on the North by the 1834 Building, Including Northern Rear Wing, And, on the South, by the Rec

A Grade II* Listed Building in Belper, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0219 / 53°1'18"N

Longitude: -1.4847 / 1°29'5"W

OS Eastings: 434659

OS Northings: 347298

OS Grid: SK346472

Mapcode National: GBR 6CP.HG2

Mapcode Global: WHDGF.597Q

Entry Name: Mills Occupied by George Brettle and Company Limited (That Part Along the Chapel Street Frontage, Bounded on the North by the 1834 Building, Including Northern Rear Wing, And, on the South, by the Rec

Listing Date: 3 February 1966

Last Amended: 13 December 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087409

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78438

Location: Belper, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE56

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Belper

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Belper Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Hazelwood

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/01/2013


1/11
5167
3.2.66


CHAPEL STREET
(West Side )
Mills occupied by George Brettle and Co Ltd
(that part along the Chapel Street frontage,
bounded on the north by the 1834 building, including
northern rear wing, and, on the south, by the recessed,
single starry red brick building)
SK 3447 SE 1/11


II*


1834. A large stone building, with symmetrical classical facade, along Chapel
Street frontage, with adjoining parts to south. Ashlar, slate roof. Three
storeys. End bays of northern building of 3 windows each, slightly advanced
under cornice. Thirteen windows in centre section, mostly fixed lights but
some sashes with glazing bars. Angle piers, no cornice to centre. Segmental
arched entrance with keystone at south aide of centre section. Mounting block
adjoins this. Rear, 2 storey, northern wing has hipped slate roof and similar
fenestration except one, round-arched ground floor window on rear elevation.
To south of this, is a 2 storey, 3 bay stone faced section with 3 round-arched
windows with glazing bars, parapet, red brick rear. Adjoining to south, recessed
single storey red brick building of earlier/mid C19, with stone eaves and hipped
slate roof. Nine arched windows, with glazing bars. The 1834 building was
originally a warehouse for the domestic frame work knitting industry.

Listing NGR: SK3465947298

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.