This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8065 / 54°48'23"N
Longitude: -2.9799 / 2°58'47"W
OS Eastings: 337110
OS Northings: 546177
OS Grid: NY371461
Mapcode National: GBR 7DMV.NS
Mapcode Global: WH80G.6G73
Entry Name: Rose Castle
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087473
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78285
Location: Dalston, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5
Civil Parish: Dalston
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Raughton Head All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 34 NE
Castle, residence of the Bishop of Carlisle. Built on the site of an earlier castle: probably late C13 with licences to crenellate 1336 and 1355: Strickland Tower c1400-1419: 1488 tower for Bishop Bell: 1522-4 tower for Bishop Kite: partly destroyed during the Civil War and repaired by William Heveningham as a private house 1653-5: alterations of 1673-5 for Bishop Rainbow by William Thackery: alterations for Bishop Smith by Thomas Machell: alterations for Bishop Lyttelton 1762-9: extensive alterations and additions for Bishop Percy by Thomas Rickman 1828-31: alterations dated 1955. Chapel: 1489 for Bishop Bell, altered 1660-63 for Bishop Sterne, altered 1673-5 for Bishop Rainbow by William Thackery and further alterations for Bishop Percy, as above. Large blocks of red sandstone on chamfered plinths; string courses and battlemented parapets; slate and lead roofs; tall C19 candlestick chimney stacks. Four 3-storey towers, hall and chapel in L-shape, forming 2 sides of an originally quadrangular shaped castle. Entrance facade: 3-storey entrance tower of 2-bays has pointed entrance and 2-light Gothic windows. Similar lower 2 bays to right are also by Rickman. Remains of C14 inner curtain wall to left now forms rear wall of chapel. Bell's Tower to left, Strickland's Tower to extreme left attached by lowered inner curtain wall. Garden facade in L-shape: right is the chapel, with 2-light windows, larger on upper floor, 3-light east window. Broad buttress projecting from east wall supports C19 open Gothic bellcote. Strickland's Tower to extreme right has external stone steps to first floor entrance. Projecting circular stair turret from first floor continues above parapet. To left: hall with stone mullioned Gothic windows. End wall to left was altered in 1955 with 2-light stone mullioned windows in keeping with the building, dated over entrance. Rear facade: 3-storey Kite's Tower has blocked ground floor entrance and 2-light stone-mullioned windows. Percy's Tower and similar extension to left are by Rickman.
See J. Wilson, Rose Castle, 1912; J.F. Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, pp227-234; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, old series, ii, pp156-165 and new series, lvi, pp132-141; Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society, new series, 27, pp61-76. All other associated buildings are listed separately. Outbuildings are of little interest.
Listing NGR: NY3709546175
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings