This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0386 / 55°2'19"N
Longitude: -2.9543 / 2°57'15"W
OS Eastings: 339110
OS Northings: 571982
OS Grid: NY391719
Mapcode National: GBR 7BT5.6L
Mapcode Global: WH7Z9.LMD5
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78153
Location: Kirkandrews, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6
Civil Parish: Kirkandrews
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkandrews-on-Esk St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 37 SE KIRKANDREWS KIRKANDREWS ON ESK
14/70 Church of St Andrew
Church. Dated 1776, on medieval site, restored 1893. Red sandstone ashlar
walls on plinth, string courses and dentilled triangular gable pediments;
graduated slate roof with coped gables. 3-bay nave/chancel aligned on a
north-south axis, with south bellcote tower; Italian style. South entrance has
3-panel double doors and round-head radial fanlight; engaged Tuscan columns with
triangular moulded pediment. Flanking round-headed windows, square-windows
above. Square tower has sundial dated 1918 replacing clock, with commemorative
inscription, corresponding round recesses to other faces; surmounted by lead
domed cupola on open columns and moulded entablature; weather vane has cut
lettering R.G. 1635 and F.G. 1951 (former church, rebuilt by Sir Richard Graham
1635-37 and repaired by Sir Fergus Graham 1951, hence the initials and dates).
Nave has large round-headed windows in recessed round arches; tripartite north
window; dentilled pediment carried round as cornice. Interior; C18 wooden
panelled walls and panelled plaster ceiling; rood screen, supported on Corinthian
fluted columns, and reredos are by Temple Moore. Organ cases flank chancel arch.
Listing NGR: NY3911071982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings