This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1311 / 53°7'51"N
Longitude: -1.7708 / 1°46'14"W
OS Eastings: 415432
OS Northings: 359346
OS Grid: SK154593
Mapcode National: GBR 479.P3Z
Mapcode Global: WHCDK.RKYJ
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 27 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80515
Location: Hartington Nether Quarter, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, SK17
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Hartington Nether Quarter
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Biggin St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 15 NE PARISH OF HARTINGTON NETHER QUARTER BIGGIN
10/85 (South Side)
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
Church. 1844-8 by E H Shellard. Coursed squared limestone. Gritstone dressings.
Low eaved, graduated, slate roof with leaded ridges. Stone coped gables with plain
kneelers. Diagonal stepped buttresses to corners. Western tower, nave with south
porch, lower chancel. Decorated style. Three stage embattled western tower. High
plinth with moulded copings. Moulded, pointed west door. Above, mullioned and
transomed window with reticulated tracery. Hoodmould with carved head stops.
Chamfered stringcourse over. Second stage has single light flat headed windows with
hoodmould to all sides. North and south sides have clock faces. Over, chamfered
stringcourse. Louvred bell openings, with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds to each
side of third stage. Above stringcourse with large gargoyles, and embattled parapets.
South-east corner of tower has short, slightly projecting stair turret with four-
centred arch doorcase and slit windows. Four windows to south nave. Gabled porch
between westernmost windows, with moulded pointed doorcase to porch and inner door.
Windows, all 2-light with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds with carved head stops.
Stepped buttresses to eaves level between windows. Similar, single light windows
to chancel. North wall in similar style. East window has panel tracery. Interior -
wooden western gallery with cusped panel front, supported by cast iron columns
with moulded capitals. Contemporary pews with fleur de lis bench ends. Steeply
pitched half cruck and king post roof, supported on corbels, decorated with carved
heads. Continuously moulded chancel arch. Stained glass east window of 1880.
Contemporary altar rails and pulpit with cusped 'panels, Charity plaques of 1758
Listing NGR: SK1543259346
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings