History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bamford, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3469 / 53°20'48"N

Longitude: -1.6896 / 1°41'22"W

OS Eastings: 420760

OS Northings: 383376

OS Grid: SK207833

Mapcode National: GBR JYNQ.0Y

Mapcode Global: WHCCN.04PK

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 21 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087859

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82470

Location: Bamford, High Peak, Derbyshire, S33

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

Civil Parish: Bamford

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Bamford and Derwent St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Bamford

Listing Text

SK 28 SW PARISH OF BAMFORD MAIN ROAD
8/9 (East Side)
21.4.67 Church of St John the Baptist
GV II*


Church. 1856-60 by William Butterfield. Coursed squared gritstone with ashlar
dressings and ashlar spire. Welsh slate roof with stone coped gables. Nave with
north aisle, chancel, west narthex and north west steeple. Unbuttressed tower
of two unequal stages. The ground stage has a west door with two chamfered orders
which die into the imposts, and acts as a porch. Shallow, gableted,
buttresses at the angles rising only about ten feet. Bell stage with 3-light
cusped bell openings set in recessed panels. Recessed quatrefoil motifs at the
angles. Pyramid spire rising directly from the edges of the tower. One tier of
lucarnes. Lean-to narthex with lancet windows with Caernarvon arches. Rose window
above with geometrical style tracery, set in a pointed arch and flanked by small
rectangular openings. Windows on the south side of 2 and 3-lights with geometrical
tracery of unusual design. The north side has groups of trefoiled lancets. The
interior has a four bay north arcade with alternate circular and octagonal piers
and bold single chamfered arches. Canted roof has tie beams, boarded in above and
pierced by pairs of quatrefoils. Windbraces. Pulpit with stone base and wooden
upper part. Wood and wrought iron communion rail. Low, simple pews. Tapering
circular font with arcading. All the fittings by Butterfield. Stained glass in
the east window of 1860 by Preedy. South western-most window and west rose
window are probably also by Preedy. Other windows have non-pictorial glass


Listing NGR: SK2076083376

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.