History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ockbrook and Borrowash, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9171 / 52°55'1"N

Longitude: -1.3713 / 1°22'16"W

OS Eastings: 442370

OS Northings: 335702

OS Grid: SK423357

Mapcode National: GBR 7GJ.23X

Mapcode Global: WHDGV.XY52

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82242

Location: Ockbrook and Borrowash, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Civil Parish: Ockbrook and Borrowash

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Ockbrook All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Risley

Listing Text

PARISH OF OCKBROOK CHURCH STREET
SK 42 35
6/58 (East Side)
10.11.67 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 and early C14 tower, remainder of
church rebuilt between 1800 and 1835, also with minor C20
alterations. Ashlar south aisle, chancel and north organ bay.
Coursed squared stone tower and red brick vestry and nave with
stone dressings and plinth. Slate nave and nave aisle roofs,
shallow pitched leaded roofs to chancel and vestry. Western
steeple, nave with large south aisle and chancel with north
organ bay plus western vestry to north of tower. Four stage
late C12 tower has roll moulded stringcourses between the stages
and each stage is slightly narrower than that below. West
elevation has an C18 doorcase with double raised and fielded
panelled doors and a moulded lintel with raised keystone, whilst
south elevation has a semi-circular headed C12 window. Attached
to north of the tower is a single storey brick vestry with a
pointed Y-tracery window to north. Second stage of tower blank
except for C19 lancet to south side. Third stage has pair of
pilaster strips to all sides and a C12 semi-circular headed
window to west side. Fourth stage has double lancet louvred
bell openings set in zigzag pointed arches to all sides, each
with a carved corbel head to the top of the arch. Above is a
large C14 broached stone spire, with weathervane to top.
North-east corner of the tower has a large stepped buttress
against it, which is probably the remains of the earlier nave.
North elevation of nave has three tall pointed panel tracery
windows in brick arches. Above is a simple coved eaves band.
Attached to east is a short piece of C20 brick wall with a
Y-tracery pointed window behind, and beyond is the pedimented
bay of the north organ bay with a central, pointed, Y-tracery
window. Attached to the east of the organ bay to the base is a
C20 lean-to and above this to south is a blocked pointed window.
The chancel has a pedimented, advanced east end with central
3-light intersecting tracery window. The date MDCCCIII is
inscribed on the eaves band. The south elevation of the chancel
has a blocked doorcase to west with a pointed Y-tracery window
beyond to west. South nave aisle has three pointed panel-type
tracery windows in deep recessed surrounds, similar to those on
north aisle. West wall of aisle is blank. Interior is very
simple and has panelled galleries to west end of nave, to either
side of pointed moulded doorcase into the tower. There is no
chancel arch and only tall thin iron columns between the nave
and south aisle. Chancel has much restored early C16 screen
from Wigston Hospital, Leicester with panelled base and
crocketed ogee headed open panels above, decorated with pierced
panel tracery. Re-set pieces also used in altar rails, choir
stalls and for panelling behind the altar. North side of
chancel has large organ bay with small door to east side, also
covered with similar panelling. An enamelled brass plaque to
west of organ records that Joseph Birkinshaw converted the Pares
family vault into an organ bay in 1928. The nave has a late C19
octagonal timber pulpit with polished marble colonnettes and a
C12 circular stone font with intersecting arcading. South wall
of chancel has three early C19 wall memorials to members of
Pares family, all by Westmacott and design as a set, each one
with classical figure to base. There are also two late C19
enamelled brass wall memorials in the chancel. In the south
aisle there is a similar brass memorial to Thomas Sneap, a white
marble wall war memorial and a Gothick memorial of c1852 to
Samuel Hey. To west end of the aisle is a slate plaque
commemorating the enlargement of the church in 1835 and there is
a similar slate plaque with list of charities to west wall of
the nave. North wall of nave has black and white marble
memorial to Henry Swindell who died 1801 which has an obelisk
top with a bust in relief to centre, also a slate and marble
memorial to John Winterton who died 1906, and two early C20
brass plaques. East window of the chancel has stained glass
window by Edward Payne of 1968, north chancel window has stained
glass by H H and B of Nottingham of c1927 and south chancel
window has late C19, Chartres style stained glass. The two
eastern windows of the south aisle have stained glass, that to
east of c1885, dedicated to Harriette Towle by brass plaque
below and central one of c1900 also with brass dedication plaque
below. Central north window has brass plaque recording its
donation by Joseph Birkinshaw in 1931 and eastern north window
has stained glass of c1898. In the tower is a late C19
hatchment and there are two brass plaques, one recording the
restoration of the spire, tower and belfy in 1890 and the other
recording the donation of bells and another restoration of tower
in 1927.


Listing NGR: SK4237035702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.