History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel at Trent College

A Grade II Listed Building in Erewash, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8997 / 52°53'58"N

Longitude: -1.2837 / 1°17'1"W

OS Eastings: 448277

OS Northings: 333821

OS Grid: SK482338

Mapcode National: GBR 7GV.67Q

Mapcode Global: WHDH3.7CYW

Entry Name: Chapel at Trent College

Listing Date: 2 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087972

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82211

Location: Erewash, Derbyshire, NG10

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Town: Erewash

District Council Ward: Derby Road West

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Long Eaton St John

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Long Eaton

Listing Text

PARISH OF LONG EATON DERBY ROAD
SK 43 SE
4/23 (South Side)
Chapel at Trent
College
II

School chapel. 1875 by Robinson of Derby, with minor internal
alterations by Sir Albert Richardson in 1949. Red brick with
brick and stone dressings and numerous bands of yellow and blue
brick, also green glazed tile bands and a continuous sill band
of moulded bricks to apse and transept bays. Plain tile roof
with stone coped gables on moulded kneelers, crested ridge tiles
and iron ridge finials, also dentilled eaves band. Nave with
canted apse and double gabled transept bays. Gabled north
elevation has low lean-to aisles with slate roofs to either side
of central gabled pointed double chamfered arched doorcase with
nookshafts and carved foliage labelstops to hoodmould, also with
inscriptions carved on the voussoirs. Aisles have double
lancets with a stepped buttress and single lancets beyond.
Above there are two tall plate tracery pointed windows with a
rose window above, both pointed windows have relieving arches of
alternating red and blue bricks and the rose window has circle
of similar brick all round. Above to top of gable is a small
stone circle with circular vents. East and west elevations have
3-light pointed plate tracery windows in both transept bays, all
with alternating brick arches below stone hoodmould with carved
foliage stops. West elevation has a two storey canted bay with
casement windows to north where the chapel attaches to the
school and east elevation has similar low lean-to aisle to that
on north elevation with doorcase inserted into a double lancet
window to south and two single lancets to north. Above there is
one double and a single lancet, both with alternating red and
blue brick relieving arches, also a decorative central hopper
head dated 1875. Canted south elevation has chamfered lancets
to each side, set high up, with canted pilaster strips to each
corner and continuous stone sill band below. Above there is an
elaborate yellow brick cornice with red brick parapets above.
These have raised brick designs on panels between canted brick
piers with stone rainwater heads projecting from the angles.
Interior of chapel has a pointed barrel vaulted timber roof with
moulded ribs, set on columns corbels with carved angels at the
bases. Transept bays have a central banded clustered columns
with foliage capital supporting chamfered pointed arches. Nave
and apse have panelling to dado height with inscriptions in
Gothic script above in the nave. Large stone war memorial in
west transept. All apse windows have stained glass by Francis
Spear of 1949 and transept windows have late C19 and early C20
stained glass panels. School attached to west is of no special
interest.


Listing NGR: SK4827733821

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.