History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas Becket

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3243 / 53°19'27"N

Longitude: -1.9148 / 1°54'53"W

OS Eastings: 405770

OS Northings: 380827

OS Grid: SK057808

Mapcode National: GBR HZ20.71

Mapcode Global: WHBBD.KPDV

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas Becket

Listing Date: 21 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088062

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82021

Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK23

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

Civil Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith St Thomas a Becket

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Chapel en le Frith

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/07/2015


SK 05 80
8/42

TOWN OF CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITH,
MARKET PLACE (North Side),
Church of St Thomas Becket


(Formerly listed as Church of St Thomas of Canterbury)

21.4.61

GV II*


Church. Early C14, refashioned in 1733 by G Platt of Rotherham. Altered in 1890-3
by Darbyshire and Smith. Restored and large extension added mid-1970s. Gritstone,
part rubble, part ashlar. Lead roofs. West tower, nave with aisles and chancel.
Exterior - three stage parapeted tower with pyramidal finials. Blocked, pilastered
classical doorcase with triglyph and metope frieze to south. Stringcourse to each
stage. Bull's eye window with four projecting keystones to south side in second
stage. Third stage has twin semi-circular headed bell openings to all sides.
Prominent cornice above. C19 west window. North-west corner of church engulfed in
1975 stone extension. North side and whole of chancel over, restored. Windows all
C19 except two flat headed tripartite windows in chancel. Chancel has C19 vestry
to north and inserted organ bay to south. South nave aisle and porch refashioned
similar to tower. Three semi-circular headed windows with keystones, with pilasters
between. Central arch has rustication. Prominent cornice with parapet above. South
porch has banded corner pilasters-and central doorcase with projecting keystone
and imposts. Traceried fanlight over eight panelled, raised and fielded door.
Similar inner door. Interior - early C14 four bay nave, octagonal piers with
moulded capitals. Two stepped, chamfered arches, similar chancel arch. 1733 round
headed tower arch. C18 box pews in nave, C19 roofs, cusped tracery in chancel
trusses. C15 font with C18 cone cover. C18 hatchment over south door. Original 168i
balustered alter rails, installed at entrance to tower. Various wall memorials in
white marble and slate. These include a joint memorial to Bagshaw family with
classical aedicule and painted coat of arms, of 1751, in south aisle. Two in north
aisle, also to Bagshaws of 1804 and 1828, both with classical decoration and
surmounted by flat obelisks,


Listing NGR: SK0577080827

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.