History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caudwells Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rowsley, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1882 / 53°11'17"N

Longitude: -1.6187 / 1°37'7"W

OS Eastings: 425573

OS Northings: 365743

OS Grid: SK255657

Mapcode National: GBR 587.5K5

Mapcode Global: WHCDG.34F6

Entry Name: Caudwells Mill

Listing Date: 2 December 1977

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088147

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81738

Location: Rowsley, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Rowsley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Rowsley St Katherine

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Great Rowsley

Listing Text

In the entry for:

SK 26 NE ROWSLEY BAKEWELL ROAD
(south side)

5/171 Caudwells Mill
2.12.77

GV II

The grade shall be amended to read:

SK 26 NE ROWSLEY BAKEWELL ROAD
(south side)

5/171 Caudwells Mill
2.12.77

GV II*

------------------------------------

PARISH OF ROWSLEY BAKEWELL ROAD
SK 26 NE
5/171 (South Side)
2.12.77 Caudwells Mill
GV II
Flour mill. Built in 1874, bridging a broad mill race. Rock
faced and plain sandstone. Welsh slate roof. A rectangular
block of seven bays on the long side. Three storeys. The east
elevation has various brick and timber lean-to additions not of
special interest. Otherwise windows with iron frame fixed pane
glazing, stone lintels and sills. Twin semi-circular arches
over the mill race. The centre part of the east elevation is
raised with a 'clerestory', which houses the exhaust system. The
gable end to north has a projecting enclosed hoist and large
lean-to timber and corrugated iron canopy forming the loading
shed. The west side has regular spacing of iron framed windows
under stone lintels, except one enlarged window under an RSJ.
To the south west a lean-to corrugated iron and timber structure
not of special interest. The south gable end has a lower gabled
bay with a single window to each floor. The internal
construction is largely of timber, but with cast iron columns to
the ground floor to support the original millstones on the first
floor. The timber floors are butted with iron tongues. The
mill is driven internally by an American 'Little Giant' turbine
installed in 1898, and a Francis twin turbine installed in 1914.
The machinery dates mostly from 1914. The south end of the
building contains the wheat washing cleaning and provender mill
and storage facilities. The flour mill section is at the north
end. On the second floor are sifters dating from 1914. On the
first floor are two purifiers dating from 1932 and on the ground
floor are the roller mills dating mostly from 1905.


Listing NGR: SK2557365743

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.