History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Edensor, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2256 / 53°13'32"N

Longitude: -1.626 / 1°37'33"W

OS Eastings: 425067

OS Northings: 369902

OS Grid: SK250699

Mapcode National: GBR 57N.XBC

Mapcode Global: WHCD8.0601

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 12 July 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81686

Location: Edensor, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Edensor

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Edensor St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Baslow

Listing Text

PARISH OF EDENSOR THE GREEN
SK 24/2569-24/2570
7/118 (South Side)
12.7.67 Church of St Peter
GV I
Parish church. C12, C15, rebuilt in 1867 by Sir George Gilbert
Scott. C13 Gothic style, of ample and impressive proportions.
Sandstone ashlar, Westmorland slate roofs, coped gables with
cross finials to east, and coped ridges. Moulded plinth and
cornice. West steeple, aisled nave with north and south
porches, chancel, north vestry and south east chapel. West
tower of four unequal stages divided by moulded bands. Angle
buttresses with three set-offs. South east stair turret
projection to the lower part. 3-light west window with cusped
intersecting tracery. Pair of deeply set lancets above, another
to the south and three more to the north, with a circular clock
face above. On all four sides, tall bell openings of deeply
moulded paired lights with reticulation units. Pair of
colonnettes and moulded arch. Arched corbel table. Ashlar
spire with broaches supporting canopied niches. Gabled and
pinnacled lucarnes and rolls up the angles. The south aisle has
a diagonal buttress to the south west, then a 3-light
flat-arched window with cusped ogee lights. Re-set C15 porch,
gabled and battlemented, with a plain moulded arched entrance.
To the right are two flat-arched 2-light windows with ogee
lights and a buttress between. Tiny square clerestory windows
with cusping, arranged 1-2-2-2-1. Gabled south east chapel
partly engaged by the aisle. To the west a circular window with
quatrefoil. To the south three buttresses and two flat-arched
2-light windows with reticulation units. Between them a plainly
moulded priests doorway, with hoodmould which continues as the
sill of the windows. Plank door with decorative wrought iron
hinges. 3-light east window of cusped lancets and ogees above.
Principal east window of three trefoiled cusped lights and three
encircled trefoils above. Three buttresses, and above the
centre one, an elaborately carved animal rainwater head. The
north side of the chancel has a flat arched 2-light window of
cusped ogees, with genuine C14 tracery. The vestry has a
pointed arched doorway to east and plank door with elaborate
iron hinges. To the north a 2-light window with cusped ogees
under a flat arch. The north aisle has two bays with 2-light
flat arched windows of cusped ogee lights, divided by
buttresses. In the third bay a gabled porch with pointed arched
entrance of two plainly moulded orders. Double return flight of
stone steps. To the right another similar window and a small
almost round-arched window with re-used head. Clerestory as on
south side. Interior: The north porch has an inner doorway
with moulded arch on colonnettes and plank door with elaborate
scrolled iron hinges. The C15 south porch has a stone roof on a
single chamfered rib. Stone seats. Re-set in the walls is part
of a foliated cross grave cover, a carved shaft and capital.
C12 round-arched south doorway much renewed. Chevron in the
arch and hoodmould. Headstops. Plank door with decorative
ironwork. Four bay nave arcades, alternately octagonal and
circular piers and responds. Crocket capitals and double
chamfered pointed arches. The south west respond is partly
medieval as are part of the third pier to the east and on the
north side the west respond, and third pier to the east. Tall
moulded tower arch dying into the imposts. Moulded chancel arch
with band of flowers on naturalistic leaf capitals with shafts
on moulded corbels below. Two bay chancel south arcade has an
octagonal pier and capital, moulded arches and hoodmould on
foliage stops. Plain arch to the north organ chamber and plain
doorway with roll moulding to the vestry. The chancel south has
a rich piscina and double sedilia with polished red and grey
marble columns, and capitals. Double sub-cusped moulded arches
drawn up to a slight ogee and with steep crocketed gables above.
Encricled quatrefoils within. Small ogee arch to the piscina is
medieval. Pointed barrel vaulted timber roofs to nave, chancel
and chapel. The cusped principals of the nave on polygonal
shafts and naturalistic leaf corbels. Tiled chancel with marble
and alabaster dado and reredos. Huge monument in the chapel to
William, First Earl of Devonshire, and Henry Cavendish +1625 and
1616. The two bodies under a low four-poster with black Ionic
columns and black covering slab. Henry appears as a skeleton on
a straw mat, William in his shroud with his face exposed.
Extremely grand architecture above the two martial flanking
figures, then arches with, on the left armour, and on the right
purple, coronet, and sword hung up, and in the middle an angel
holding the black inscription tablet and blowing a trumpet. The
whole is surmounted by a big broken pediment. The monument has
been attributed to Colt. C19 wooden gothic communion rails and
choir stalls with poppy heads. Organ with coving beneath the
pipes which are cantilevered out. Rich C19 pulpit of black and
ruby marble. Semi-circular with intersecting arcading with leaf
capitals. The base has seven detached shafts. Circular marble
font, the base with four red granite colonnettes. The bowl has
trefoiled arcading with leaf capitals and cable moulding. Plain
open wooden benches to the nave. Good C19 stained glass in the
west and two east windows; the chapel east window of 1882 by
Hardman. C19 wooden lectern. Old font in the south aisle with
panelled bowl and stem, the bowl with trefoiled arches.
Possibly C16. Medieval piscina in the south aisle with plain
chamfered arch. Hanging vase-like light fittings. Brass to
John Beton +1570, Servant to Mary Queen of Scots.


Listing NGR: SK2506869902

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.