History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II Listed Building in Brimington, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2573 / 53°15'26"N

Longitude: -1.3943 / 1°23'39"W

OS Eastings: 440506

OS Northings: 373537

OS Grid: SK405735

Mapcode National: GBR LZPS.Y1

Mapcode Global: WHDF9.KD87

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 26 September 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088303

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83321

Location: Brimington, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43

County: Derbyshire

District: Chesterfield

Civil Parish: Brimington

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Brimington St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Chesterfield

Listing Text


908/10/204 CHURCH STREET
26-SEP-77 BRIMINGTON
(North side)
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL AN
GELS

II
Parish church with tower of 1796, remainder rebuilt 1847 by J. Mitchell, chancel refurbished 1891 by Naylor & Sale.

MATERIALS: Ashlar gritstone chancel and south side, coursed squared gritstone to the north aisle and north wall of nave, slate roofs.

PLAN: Aisled nave with lower and narrower chancel, west tower, south porch and north-east vestry.

EXTERIOR: The church is in Decorated style. The 5-bay nave has 2-light square-headed clerestorey windows with trefoil-headed lights, and larger 3-light windows to the buttressed lean-to aisles. The porch has a double-chamfered arch on shafts, and south doorway with strap hinges. The 3-stage unbutressed tower has an embattled parapet with big corner pinnacles. It has 2-light windows in the lower stage, south clock face and small west window in the middle stage, and 2-light belfry openings. The chancel has a 3-light east window and 2 single-light south windows. Lean-to north vestry.

INTERIOR: The lofty interior has nave arcades with tall octagonal piers to chamfered arches. The triple-chamfered tower and chancel arches are on responds with clustered shafts. The roof has arched-braced trusses on tall wall posts on foliage corbels. There is diagonal boarding behind the rafters. The chancel roof is similar. Aisles have roofs with beams and diagonal struts. In the tower base masonry is exposed, showing the blocked C18 windows. Other walls are plastered, and the floor is stone-paved, with raised wood floors below pews.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The font is octagonal in Perpendicular style. It has a tall 4-tier conical font canopy added in 1899 and painted in the C20. The nave has simple benches with moulded square-headed ends, and choir stalls with pierced quatrefoils in the backs. The tower arch is infilled with a screen erected in 1927, with glazing in Perpendicular tracery within the arch. There are several brass wall plaques, the earliest of which commemorates Henry Audsley (d 1723). In the south aisle the white-marble war memorial is by Charles Sargeant Jagger (1885-1934), the renowned sculptor of war memorials, showing an allegorical figure of Victory and inscription panels; it is in an austere Neoclassical idiom which was unusual for the sculptor. The figure has been moved from its original position (after its plinth was stolen) and is now set on a marble corbel on the south side of the east window. Stained glass windows include one signed by Abbot & Co of Leicester (1932).

HISTORY: A small late-medieval church at Brimington is shown in an engraving of 1785. It was replaced by a new church in 1796 at the expense of Joseph Jebb, of which only the tower has survived. The church was rebuilt, and the tower heightened, in 1847 by Joseph Mitchell (fl 1841-66), architect of Sheffield. In 1891 the chancel was refurbished by the partnership of John Naylor (1854-1923) and George Sale (1857-1945), architects of Derby.

SOURCES:
Pevsner, N (revised E. Williamson)., The Buildings of England: Derbyshire (1978), 110.
Spencer, D., The Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels, Brimington: A History and Guide (2002).
Lambeth Palace Library, Incorporated Church Building Society Archives.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Michael and All Angels, Brimington, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a well-designed and well-proportioned 1840s church that has retained a unity of design, and is a good example of the relatively plain architectural style that was popular for Anglican churches before the ecclesiological revival of the mid C19.
* It retains a tower that is a rare example of C18 Gothic.
* The war memorial is an innovative sculpture by Charles Sargeant Jagger, one of the foremost of all war-memorial sculptors.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.