History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jesus Almshouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bibury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7582 / 51°45'29"N

Longitude: -1.8327 / 1°49'57"W

OS Eastings: 411642

OS Northings: 206623

OS Grid: SP116066

Mapcode National: GBR 3QJ.RFZ

Mapcode Global: VHB2M.52ZH

Entry Name: Jesus Almshouse

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Last Amended: 5 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088420

English Heritage Legacy ID: 127260

Location: Bibury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Bibury

Built-Up Area: Arlington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bibury with Winson

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Bibury

Listing Text

BIBURY A433
SP 1006-1106
(east side)
11/14 Jesus Almshouse.
(previously listed as Almshouses)
23.1.52
GV II
Former almshouse, now detached house. Early C17; extensively
restored early C20. Random and coursed rubble limestone; ashlar
chimney; stone slate roof. Single-storey with attic; central
front wing. Front: symmetrical with central Tudor arched doorway
and plank door; engraved brass plate in chamfered recess above
doorway reads: 'JESUS ALMSHOUSE OF HUGH WESTWOOD FOUNDATION'.
Two-light recessed cavetto mullioned casement centrally above.
Single 2-light casement to front wall of main block either side of
wing. Central ridge-mounted chimney. Single-window mullioned
fenestration to main gable ends, 3-light to upper floor, 4-light to
ground floor at south end. Lead latticing to most casements; ball
finials to gables. Small outbuilding to rear now linked to main
block. Interior not inspected. Built for Hugh Westwood charity by
1607.
(A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, pp 21-44)


Listing NGR: SP1164006624

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.