This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0584 / 52°3'30"N
Longitude: -1.7334 / 1°44'0"W
OS Eastings: 418376
OS Northings: 240039
OS Grid: SP183400
Mapcode National: GBR 4NB.SPF
Mapcode Global: VHB13.WJZC
Entry Name: Harrowby House
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Last Amended: 20 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088517
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126977
Location: Ebrington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55
Civil Parish: Ebrington
Built-Up Area: Ebrington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Ebrington St Eadburgha
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 1840-1940 EBRINGTON MAIN STREET
13/38 Harrowby House
25.8.60 (formerly listed as No 53 and No 54
House. Main body: C13-C17 with much C20 renovation. C18
extension. Main body has ashlar limestone facade, other walls
coursed limestone rubble. C18, extension squared limestone with
irregularly bonded brick, at rear also. Limestone slate roofs.
Projecting chimney stack, rear right, with twin C20, replica, stone
diagonal stacks, matching pair to left. C13-C17 main body,
extended back on left with former garderobe projection in angle.
C18 extension left of main body.
Interior plan of main body C20. 2 storeys with cellar under right
end. 3-windowed: 2 and 3-light stone, ovolo-mullioned windows and
C20 metal casements with leaded panes. Stopped hoods over.
Blocked, flat-chamfered, stone-mullioned cellar window in right
wall. C20 casements with glazing bars to rear. Windows extension
left: 2 storeys. One windowed: 2-light flat chamfered stone-
mullioned windows in left gable end. All with leaded panes.
Central C20 unpainted, studded, plank door with cover strips in C19
flat-chamfered stone, pointed arched surround with stopped hood
over. Worn step in front of door. Eroded, stone cow, in relief,
on stone over door (see below). The doorway could replace an
earlier similar one and is on line with a C13 pointed arched
doorway with moulded chamfer in rear wall.
Interior ground floor: stone inglenook fireplace with 4-centred
arched lintel and the remains of bread oven on right. Deep
chamfered beams. Right hand room has large fireplace with wood
bressumer, with compass drawn, incised decoration. First floor:
4-centred arched, stone fireplace, now in corridor with remnants of
original, painted line decoration, another stone fireplace with
traces of curvilinear painted decoration on lintel. Blocked round
headed arch above. The cow over the front door suggests the house
was associated with the Keyt family (Ball J. et al., "Under the
Oaks" Bloomfield and Son 1978, Chapter 5 "The Story of the Cow
Listing NGR: SP1837340035
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings