History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grey House

A Grade II Listed Building in Blockley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0396 / 52°2'22"N

Longitude: -1.7306 / 1°43'49"W

OS Eastings: 418578

OS Northings: 237940

OS Grid: SP185379

Mapcode National: GBR 4NQ.199

Mapcode Global: VHB13.YZHV

Entry Name: The Grey House

Listing Date: 26 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126866

Location: Blockley, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Blockley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Blockley St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Ebrington

Listing Text

SP 1837 5/34 BLOCKLEY PAXFORD

The Grey House
GV
II


C17, roof raised in mid C19 and house restored or remodelled in mullion windows style
in early C20. Two storeys with attic lit from gables and a dormer to south. Rubble
built, alternately in thick and thin courses (at least to north).

North: 3 and one bays, right hand in lower 2½ storey extension. Slate roof with coped
verges and ashlar chimneys, square stacks. Ovolo mullion windows with drips of 3 and
4-lights. Central gabled porch, studded door (originally at Old Manor Cottages qv).

South: 3 bays, right hand with gabled break, left hand with doorway. Latter has ogee
mouldings with vase stops, C20 cornice and piece of strapwork, Tudor arch head with
panelled spandrels, probably also C20 and a grafitto 'T.B.1773' on left hand jamb.

Good interior with imported panelling of Jacobean date in central room. Chamfered
beams with ogee steps. South-east room with Tudor arch fireplace with vase stops.
Mid-C18 stair to north-east remodelled 1905 into C17 appearance by Mr Warmington of
Chipping Campden.


Listing NGR: SP1857837940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.